A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Beast broke the spring...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Beast broke the spring...

So, just when I think this car will run for another few thousand miles without any issues (now at 152k), the left front spring broke -a small section in the bottom. Broken piece is just dangling there like a bracelet and luckily the rest of spring is still sitting in the lower spring plate. Car drives fine although there is a slight pull to one side on highway speeds and might be sitting a little low (which I can't differentiate)

KBB suggest the car to be around $1.6K (selected the "fair" option). Of course with the minor door damage etc., the value would be far less.

The PIA part is that it failed inspection thanks to a very keen inspector. On one hand, I have to say it's good he found the problem and it could be very bad if gone unnoticed. On the other, a perfectly good (ahem) car cannot be on the road.

So the list of issues:

• Broken spring (Midas suggests replacing both springs and shocks)
  • Rear sway bar rusted and needs replacement
  • Front passenger axle boot shot and needs replacement.

Midas wants around 1K to replace both front springs and shocks.
Sway bar is around $90.00 on eBay and I'd have to do that later on.

Axle boot is cheaper but it looks like I might just change out the axle just to avoid going the boot mess all over again (done the left in the past). Rebuilt is around $500 at ECStuning after the core charge. Funny how they sell some aftermarket new ones starting at $78.33! Are these any good? At this point I might just get those.

Engine runs great, Trans and drive train is smooth and all electrical options work fine. No leaks whatsoever. I have done extensive maintenance on this car already. Basically everything works great. So now, I am thinking what to do here. Get rid of it or keep pushing given the repair cost vs its value.

I have never worked on suspension so, that's something to consider and not to mention what else breaks during that repair process...

your thoughts?
Old 07-26-2017, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Consider what you would be willing to pay to replace the vehicle. Chances are it would be at least $15000 for a reasonable condition used something that is not as nice or safe a vehicle as you now have. Most anything more than a few years old will have necessary maintenance issues. But, possibly not as many as your old Audi will likely have. Just depends on how much you are willing to pay to get fewer issues.

Personally, I'd fix your Audi. Not that many miles on it. And, you know what it needs, and what has been done. But if you live near Denver and are selling it cheap, let me know.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

AutohausAZ has CV kits for about $12, then a couple of hours of your own labor. New axles for $97 and change. With that many miles might consider replacement unless it was done before. Some shops recommend that if you do both sides at the same time, swap the axles from side to side. It changes the wear direction and can extend the life of the internal parts of the CV. I bet you can get struts for less than $500 from aftermarket suppliers. Was Midas gonna throw in an alignment for their price? Still seems high but it depends on where you live too. Also if you go to sell 1) new owner will want it to pass inspection. 2) KBB seems to price cars lower in my area than NADA book.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If you are going to hire out the repairs I would go to someone who does this vintage Audi regularly. Suspension may be simple but an Audi guy will know the tricks and the things to be careful around. Hate to see non pros bang on any Audi.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I personally would replace both front springs and shocks. You might find control arm issues in the process. If so, you're looking at well over $1000.

I would go with rebuilt axel and not new. Raxles has gotten decent reviews. But, I always just replace the CV Boot. I pop the pinch bolt on upper arm balljoints and slide the spindle off the end of the axle. Then pop the joint with the axle bolt. I normally just scrape off the grease on the outside of the joint where any dirt might be without taking the joint apart. I'm still on original joints at 260k miles, so not fully cleaning has not been a problem. If you may have driven through deep water or if the bad boot has been torn for a long time, I'd go for rebuilt.

I would clean rust off sway bar and paint. Never heard of a sway bar rusting through, but if about to break, no choice but to replace.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by clancy
Consider what you would be willing to pay to replace the vehicle.
That's what I am thinking too. I'd have to fork in a good amount for a fully loaded car like this.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Wondering if you guys can help find / locate the right part...

So, I have decided to get my hands dirty to save few hundreds here.

The part number local dealer says is : 8D0 411 105 EC

The PR code (off the sticker is spare tire well) is : PR-0JM

// ETKA screenshot for part attached //

Last 6 digits of VIN is: 132414

Based on that and what ETKA parts listing at the dealer shows, it seems to be right (that is basing on year and serial no. range listing for the part)

Where can I find a suitable aftermarket part for this?

EDIT:

I was able to find a post from "Boston Driver" that listed all the color codes and part numbers here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...sting-1715545/

I guess, I am trying to identify this without pulling the wheel out etc., and it may be the case that I'd have do that to ensure the correct part.
Attached Thumbnails Beast broke the spring...-pr-code-springs.jpg  

Last edited by tester123; 08-01-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

https://www.hansautoparts.com/8D0411...ontSpring.aspx

$35 plus shipping.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
That's a good coincidence. Should've seen your post first. I was researching for a while and found the same. Spoke with sales person and wanted to verify the paint marks on it. She said, "a Silver and two Pink". They should be Violet instead as per ETKA (and other part listings don't mention pink). So, I am assuming they are Violet; and I haven't opened the car up yet to verify what's on. I asked her if the "packaging" has an AUDI 4 ring logo and she said YES. It is supposed to be OEM, made in Germany - a point she repeated couple times... Don't know how that matters... an after market could also come from Germany... right? Ok, China. But it "could be" Germany too...

Anyway, ordered 2 of them. Parts + shipping it's going to be less than $85.00! That's outstanding since most sites are listing them over $100 for each spring + shipping! Heck, at this price, I should stock up

Provided that my research here is proper AND the part being shipped is exact replacement, this could turn out good.

Picked up spring compressors from Harbor Freight for about $35.00 - a little expensive for one time tool but compared to a shop(s) quoted $ figures, it works out.

Will update.

Last edited by tester123; 08-01-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Replacement Shocks...

If I am going to the replace springs, it makes sense to replace the shocks as well.
Part number is: 4b3 413 031 F
Seems like SACHS is the OEM.
Found one on germanautoparts.com : Audi A6 Suspension Shock/strut, front Part Number(s) References: 557833,557837,BE56508 (sport suspension type) for $126.

Trying to find a better price for front set.
Any leads? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Beast broke the spring...