AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   Bent valves... Will it work? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/bent-valves-will-work-2906341/)

mark458 09-07-2016 04:19 PM

Bent valves... Will it work?

ok I have an 04 A6 3.0. The timing belt was broken when I bought it. After tearing down the front and pulling the valve covers I discovered the exhaust valves on the passenger side head are all slightly bent there is about 3 mm clearance on all the lifters. In the past went I had slightly bent valves I just put on a new timing belt and drove the car till it cleared up... My question is will that work on this car?

Prospeeder 09-07-2016 06:11 PM

No it will not, you need to remove the heads and replace the valves. I find it really hard to believe you have bent valves just "clear up" from driving it. At least on these there is no way that would work, it most likely wont even run. Might be easier for you to get a used pair of heads. A revalve can get quite expensive with the 30V engine.

mark458 09-07-2016 08:18 PM

I bought an 02 kia sportage with a broken timing belt. At first it wouldnt start but after turning it over for a few minutes it sputtered to life and it took about a week of driving for the miss fires to clear up.

Can I get a link for head removal?

georgeb944 09-08-2016 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by mark458 (Post 24855292)
ok I have an 04 A6 3.0. The timing belt was broken when I bought it. After tearing down the front and pulling the valve covers I discovered the exhaust valves on the passenger side head are all slightly bent there is about 3 mm clearance on all the lifters. In the past went I had slightly bent valves I just put on a new timing belt and drove the car till it cleared up... My question is will that work on this car?

Sure, give it a try. If it doesn't work, you're going to have to replace the valves, but it probably won't do any more damage than has already been done.

By the way, is this the same car that had a blown CVT transmission?

mark458 09-08-2016 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by georgeb944 (Post 24855454)

Lol no I originally bought this car for the tranny for the other car but its in such good condition I decided to fix it.

mark458 09-08-2016 08:57 AM

What do you do if you didn't lock in the cams before doing the timing belt? I cant find anything to help me set the timing.

georgeb944 09-08-2016 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by mark458 (Post 24855592)
What do you do if you didn't lock in the cams before doing the timing belt? I cant find anything to help me set the timing.

Looks like you might consider investing in the Bentley Manual for your car and this set of tools, at a minimum...

https://www.amazon.com/Baum-Tools-T4.../dp/B00UC4IOTI

Here's a video from youituibe

SloopJohnB@mac.com 09-08-2016 03:03 PM

BUT if a valve head breaks off and scores the cylinder

Originally Posted by georgeb944 (Post 24855454)
Sure, give it a try. If it doesn't work, you're going to have to replace the valves, but it probably won't do any more damage than has already been done.

or breaks a piston or otherwise effs the engine, you will be a lot worse off.

I wouldn't run the engine since you KNOW it has bent valves.

Airbag 09-09-2016 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com (Post 24855738)
or breaks a piston or otherwise effs the engine, you will be a lot worse off.

I wouldn't run the engine since you KNOW it has bent valves.

yeah I was thinking the same thing. wont do any more damage until the head of a valve breaks off from hammering the seat and falls into the CC .

mark458 09-21-2016 08:38 AM

Looks like its working!
Started off with misfire on 1-5 then after 5 minutes dropped to 1-3 and after 15 minutes 1 and 2 are the only cylinders misfiring.