A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Best brake upgrade? stock upgrade vs. ecs/porsche/stoptech upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best brake upgrade? stock upgrade vs. ecs/porsche/stoptech upgrade?

anyone have experience with just stock upgrade?

vs.

ECS stage 3 or stoptech???
Old 09-10-2005, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I got 70k on my stock pads....dont fix whats not broke....I went stock again.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default There really is nothing for you to upgrade to...you have a 4.2 which has...

the best stock set-up for an A6. The HP2 321mm fronts and 256mm or 269mm vented rears is pretty much it. I guess you could upgrade the pads & rotors, but as far as an increase in rotor size and clamping force, what you have now is the best stock can offer.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I don't understand why people want to upgrade their calipers if they've ALREADY got HP-2's....

The HP-2 caliper is extremely beefy. I suspect that even stoptechs with larger rotors won't do a whole lot for you in terms of improvement in stopping distance. If you track the car and experience fading on hard sustained braking...maybe then it would help. Otherwise, it's just "bling."

When I went from stock pads to Hawk HPS on my car, I noticed an improvement in braking. If you need brakes anyway, a good "stock upgrade" would be a new set of Zimmerman or ATE rotors and a set of HPS pads. 8-)

Cheers,
Old 09-10-2005, 02:07 PM

Default I've done both...

I started with DBA rotors and upgraded pads then went to a StopTech BBK. The DBA rotors are stock replacements. They are made from a more duarable material and are vented and slotted. These, better pads and stainless lines were a good improvement over stock. However, as I do a lot of mountain driving as well as occasional track days, I wanted something better. The StopTech 332 kit provides improved fade resistance, a wide variety of pad options, better pedal feel, and I believe shorter stopping distances. Finally, with K04 power I wanted the added safety margin that a BBK provides.

In the end, it comes down to your objectives and budget.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:09 PM

Because there are better options available. It all depends on your objectives
Old 09-10-2005, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Upgrading calipers is mostly about pedal feel, not actual braking performance...

Maybe you might get a 60-0 distance of 113 feet instead of 117 feet. But the calipers with pistons on both sides give a better brake feel and a stiffer pedal.

BTW, where is a good place to buy Hawk HPS?
Old 09-10-2005, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I got my Hawks from tirerack.com. They even come with the correct sensor connector these days.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Fear the Miata!

Default I can definetly feel and see the difference the ECS Stage III BBK has made on my car........

it does stop shorter and with less fade....I had the HP2 calipers on my 4.2....now with the BBK I would never go back....plus it is EXTREMELY easy to change pads if you go from the street to the track or just want some different type of pad....and I like having the word PORSCHE on them as well....8^)
Old 09-10-2005, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If your objectives are to track the car, I can see it. If your objectives are to "look cool"...

I can see it too. If your objectives are to noticibly make your car stop in a shorter distance, I suspect it's not going to have much of an effect at all. Let's say you go from 60-0 in 120ft instead of 125ft. That's a whopping 4% improvement in braking for several grand invested. Hmmmmm....If your objective is just to stop faster, it's probably a LOT more cost effective to get stickier/wider tires and leave the brakes alone.

Again, the HP-2 plus an aggressive pad and stock rotors is REALLY good braking for a car of the A6's size.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Best brake upgrade? stock upgrade vs. ecs/porsche/stoptech upgrade?