A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Big problem after automatic transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big problem after automatic transmission swap

Hello!
Im starting this thread because ive got to the point that i don't know what to do next... My car, Audi A6 2.5 tdi 180hp year 2000 , 259.000km.
The automatic triptronic gearbox, started to fail , connecting vagcom was showing incorect gear ratio. So ive decided to just swap it with another known good gearbox.
The problem is that my original gearbox had reference number 5hp19 FAD , and the new one its 5hp19 DEQ... everything went smooth, ive fitted the new gearbox, keeped the original TCM as the one that came with the new gearbox wasnt accepted by the car ECU... And in order to reprogram it, i need the file and the vagcom login acces number...
The car starts and run's perfectly, but as soon as it changes to second (2nd) gear, it goes into limp mode .. on vagcom shows Transmission Imput Speed Sensor (G182) P0716 - Implausible Signal.

The big ERROR! I didnt do enough research before fitting in a different type of gearbox, so ive ended with a diferent type of imput speed sensor
The original gearbox had a HALL type of sensor, and the gearbox ive fitted in has an inductive type of sensor... So thats everything that changes in this two transmissions...

My question: Is there any type of modification in order to fit the hall sensor in the new gearbox? Even if i get to that point (wich i intent to do in a short while) it will read the correct information?

Thank you very much guys! Hope someone will give me just a little hope on this issue... as i really dont look foward to swap the gearbox once again
Old 05-30-2017, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nobody has any ideea?
Old 05-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know the 5HP19 well enough but I would recommend Nat Wentworth at Eriksson Industries. He's not just super-nice but brilliant too as to all things ZF. His website is: Eriksson Industries

I'm sorry I cannot be more helpful...

~Tanya
Old 05-30-2017, 09:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you very much for your reply! Ive allready send an e-mail, and hope for some reply soon... Maybe this weekend , will open the gearbox again and try to adapt the right sensor in... The thing im most afraid is that the sensor will not be able to read the wheel... Cant find enough information about used materials in this transmission's... I will reply here anyway...
In the meantime, if anybody has any type of ideea, i would be more than happy to hear about..
Thanks once again !
Old 06-30-2017, 04:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As ive say'd, will reply back, if i get any news... Well i have very good news

I got my transmission imput speed sensor (g182) fixed... Made a electronic circuit, that basically change the signal from induction type of wave, to a hall square wave type...
The car run's perfect, without being needed to take the gearbox apart ...
Old 07-01-2017, 04:52 PM
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yay!

Originally Posted by Exxe
As ive say'd, will reply back, if i get any news... Well i have very good news

I got my transmission imput speed sensor (g182) fixed... Made a electronic circuit, that basically change the signal from induction type of wave, to a hall square wave type...
The car run's perfect, without being needed to take the gearbox apart ...
Wow, that's impressive. Brilliant! Yay! Congratulations. :-)

~Tanya
Old 09-05-2018, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello my dear friend

I really enjoyed your help if possible,
I have an audi a6 2.5 tdi quattro, and I had and I have the same problem that you had with the exchange of the automatic gearboxes, the old one is with inductive sensor and the new one that I put is with sensor hall effect g182, I could not fail to see that it seems that he has found a solution to this problem,

(As ive say'd, will reply back, if i get any news ... Well i have very good news

I got my transmission imput speed sensor (g182) fixed ... Made an electronic circuit, that basically change the signal from induction type of wave, to a hall square wave type ...
The car run's perfect, without being needed to take the gearbox apart ...)

can you help me with this problem ...

Thank you very much because where I live I do not solve the same problem

Thank you so much
Old 09-06-2018, 02:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi!
Im really sorry to inform you that the modification ive made with the sensor only worked for about 2 days... Something must have went wrong, some electrical issues most probable...
So i gave up on this car and took it to the junk yard
i really reccomend you to buy a gearbox with the same type of sensor (but must be a good working gearbox so you can eliminate any posible issue)

EDIT: if you still wish to do further investigations, here i leet you the link of another forum where with the help of some amazing people, we created that small circuit... If you patient, there you have all the info ... Very detailed...
Hope i dont brake any rule by posting a external link here...

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/induction-sensor-wave-signal-converted-to-hall-effect-sensor-square-wave.137358/

Last edited by Exxe; 09-06-2018 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Adding an external link to help