A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Brake fluid flush, how much fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but I want green fluid! lol
Old 03-07-2012, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can i just add food coloring? lol
Old 03-07-2012, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes. That's hwo ate makes blue. Neutral dye.

You want Castrol GT-LMA unless you wish to flush every year and go to the track.

read specs, dont buy labels.

G
Old 03-07-2012, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i understand your reluctance. But i still think its the best fluid for the street. Good dry numbers, and it stays dryer longer.

I use it in my non track cars. In track cars i use ate super 200 as well.

I just dont see the point for the street, and it absorbs more water.

G
Old 03-07-2012, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

No u can't add food coloring. It adds water to brake flux, exactly what u don't want.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

that's why i said neutral dye.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Just Me
i would get a pressure bleeder. You will be happy you did in the long run. $55 for a motive.

Anyhow, work from RR to LR to RF to LF (in order of distance),

The first brake takes the most fluid - enough to run it through the caliper, line and drain the old stuff in the reservoir. I figure 300 ml for that one. The 200 ml for the LR and 150 each for the fronts.

If you do it manually, it is *IMPERATIVE* that you never have the bleeder open when the pedal is going back up. Only the constant pressure of the pedal keeps air out. So its "press honey- open-close-release honey". No deviation, except to call here "sweetie". That's allowed.

But get the motive.

use good fluid. I suggest Castrol GT-LMA. It holds up a bit longer.

Make sure you don't strip the bleeders. They can seize. To move them use a deep *6-pt* (not 12) socket. Then go back to your line wrench. You do have a line wrench, don;t you?

G
Is this correct? I thought the corect sequence for bleeding the C5 was right front, left front, right rear, left rear, according to Bentley.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts
Default low-vis fluid:

Originally Posted by badinstincts
but I want green fluid! lol
Bad, this ATE fluid has a slight green tint to it:

Made in Germany, ATE SL.6 is a premium quality low viscosity brake fluid. Low viscosity (thin-bodied) brake fluids are designed to work with ESP (Electronic Stability Program), ESP (Electronic Stability Control), ASC (Accelleration Skid Control), TC (Traction Control), and other systems that utilize the ABS system to help prevent skids and enhance vehicle control. These systems utilize very small internal fluid passages and need a low viscosity fluid to provide the fast response times required for the system to work properly, therefore the correct brake fluid becomes an integral part of the active safety system.

ATE SL.6 meets or exceeds all requirements of DOT 4 brake fluid. While it is designed for the most modern vehicles with electronic stability systems it is can be used in all vehicles requiring DOT 4 fluid. It is mixable with all other DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 spec fluids but mixing it with standard viscosity fluids will reduce the excellent cold-flow properties of this fluid, therefore we recommend a complete flush when upgrading from standard viscosity fluid to to this low viscosity fluid.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>Boiling Point</TD><TD>265 Degrees C</TD></TR><TR><TD>Wet Boiling Point</TD><TD>175 Degrees C</TD></TR><TR><TD>Flash Point</TD><TD>130 Degrees C</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old 03-09-2012, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The Pentosin DOT 4 LV actually meets the VAG brake fluid spec (for newer cars):

Made in Germany, Pentosin DOT 4 LV is a premium quality brake fluid of the highest DOT 4 performance levels with extremely low viscosity at low temperatures. This is an ideal fluid for use in vehicles with ESP (Electronic Stability Program), ESP (Electronic Stability Control), ASC (Accelleration Skid Control), TC (Traction Control), and other systems that utilize the ABS system to help prevent skids and enhance vehicle control. These systems utilize very small internal fluid passages and need a low viscosity fluid to provide the fast response times required for the system to work properly, therefore the correct brake fluid becomes an integral part of the active safety system.

This formula meets or exceeds all requirements of DOT 4 brake fluid and it's low viscosity base combined with high-tech additives provide excellent resistance to absorbing and retaining water, superior resistance to corrosion and excellent lubricating properties. While it is designed for the most modern vehicles with electronic stability systems it is can be used in all vehicles requiring DOT 4 fluid. It is mixable with all other DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 spec fluids but mixing it with standard viscosity fluids will reduce the excellent cold-flow properties of this fluid, therefore we recommend a complete flush when upgrading from standard viscosity fluid to to this low viscosity fluid.