A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Brakes Brakes Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Brakes Brakes

Well almost at 50k on the S6 and it is time to think about brakes. Audi will cover them under warrenty and then I would get Audi brakes, but that is no fun. So, being a Noob about brakes I need input and insight. I am going to be putting the 18's on soon which are 5 spoke so i will have a lot of caliper showing, something modest, understated imola yellow perhaps (LOL). Your recommendations are appreciated.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:39 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default What's wrong with the stock brakes?

I see no benefit other than looks to upgrading to a Brembo type caliper. The biggest upgrades you can do are better fluid, and better pads on new factory rotors.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:05 AM

Default Paint the stock calipers or contact StopTech...

They did a custom Imola paint match for an S4 guy.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you would eat your words if you drove my car. think, reverse launch
Old 03-29-2005, 06:18 AM
Head Cat Herder

Default I've driven plenty of cars with strong brakes. But, for most street driving, how often to you need .

to be able to stand the car on it's nose? Even with my 2.8, and the stock brakes, I've never run out of brakes. I have run my friend's S4 out of brakes, but that was just the fluid more than anything.

what brakes do you have in your car?
Old 03-29-2005, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's not how often you'll need them, it's just the one time that will matter.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Most objective tests show that aftermarket brakes only offer improvement....

... in a track-like setting where you do multiple stops from speed. Big brakes dissipate the heat better, and that rarely comes into play on the street. Big brakes with aggressive pads can actually reduce stopping power when cold. Many big brake jobs are done for the appearance.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ah, but it IS a question how often. For a one-time emergency stop, OEM brakes (at least good ones)

could be as good as, or better than big brakes. The difference is in the pads. OEM pads are designed to work well when cold, but they lose effectiveness as they heat up. Performance pads remain effective when hot, but may not grip when cold.

Interesting test at the link below. It shows that smaller OEM brakes perform almost the same as big brake packages. The biggest difference is in the resulting temperature. Big brakes stay cool, and that only matters when you are doing a series of severe, high-speed stops, which virtually never happens in the "real world."<ul><li><a href="http://www.zeckhausen.com/testing_brakes.htm">Test</a></li></ul>
Old 03-29-2005, 06:33 AM
Head Cat Herder

Default That was my point.. I've seen plenty of 'racing brakes' that don't work on the street...

unless you ride them to keep them warm.... My stock brakes on my A6 are strong enough to casue thigns to fly forward in the car when I stand on the pedal, for those one time panic stops, they are more than adequate.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default wouldn't it stand to reason that if your brakes can lock up the tires, then that's

as good as you can do ( as far as the "one time" panic stop goes)? Seems to me if you can lock 'em up with the standard brakes, why spend $$$ on a big brake kit?

With ABS on these cars, I'm assuming the shortest possible panic stop is accomplished by stomping on the pedal and letting the computer modulate brake pressure just enough to keep the wheels turning.

Am I misguided here in my thinking?

Quick Reply: Brakes Brakes Brakes