Camshaft Installation - "00 A6 4.2 ART - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page > Camshaft Installation - "00 A6 4.2 ART
Notices
A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft Installation - "00 A6 4.2 ART

Reply

 
 
Old 08-07-2014, 03:15 PM
  #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 36
Default Camshaft Installation - "00 A6 4.2 ART

I'm installing the intake camshaft on the left bank. Is there anyway to depress the valve springs so I can just lay the cam in and bolt down the caps?

If there isn't a tool or trick, I guess just carefully bolt down the caps following the torque sequence?

Thanks,
Skyrex
Skyrex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:26 PM
  #2
Default

Originally Posted by Skyrex View Post
I'm installing the intake camshaft on the left bank. Is there anyway to depress the valve springs so I can just lay the cam in and bolt down the caps?

If there isn't a tool or trick, I guess just carefully bolt down the caps following the torque sequence?

Thanks,
Skyrex
No…you don't want to do that because the various pistons are at various heights. You put the cam in (I use a little assembly lube on the lobes) and put the bearing caps on and just start the bearing cap bolts. Then bring down the caps maybe one or two turns at a time using the torque sequence.
Make DAMN sure you get the caps on the same way they came off!
SloopJohnB@mac.com is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:51 PM
  #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 36
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
No…you don't want to do that because the various pistons are at various heights. You put the cam in (I use a little assembly lube on the lobes) and put the bearing caps on and just start the bearing cap bolts. Then bring down the caps maybe one or two turns at a time using the torque sequence.
Make DAMN sure you get the caps on the same way they came off!
Thanks for the direction. The motor was at TDC when I removed the camshaft. So, hopefully, that will eliminate any interference problem.

I'll take the cap bolts down a couple turns at a time following the torque sequence. And, I numbered the caps when I took them out. Will also do the lube.

Tx,
Skyrex
Skyrex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:04 PM
  #4
Default

Originally Posted by Skyrex View Post
Thanks for the direction. The motor was at TDC when I removed the camshaft. So, hopefully, that will eliminate any interference problem.

I'll take the cap bolts down a couple turns at a time following the torque sequence. And, I numbered the caps when I took them out. Will also do the lube.

Tx,
Skyrex
Probably irrelevant…IIRC the little arrows on the cams need to line up with the arrows on the bearing caps (both intake and exhaust), then make sure there's the correct number of links between the cam sprockets. BTW, this would have been a great time to replace the plastic shoes on the cam chain tensioner…they're only $22 a pair or so online. If you haven't buttoned everything up….
SloopJohnB@mac.com is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Galco
A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion
32
04-26-2017 11:56 AM
KevinLugnuts
Vehicles For Sale
2
11-27-2015 04:43 AM
nosrednug
A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
2
08-14-2004 05:27 AM
AUDIOZ A4
A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
9
06-05-2003 11:27 AM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:50 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: