A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2001 A6 Avant - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 A6 Avant - What to do?

Hey there all

I have a 2001 A6 Avant with just over 110K. I bought it couple of years ago and it has been a great ride, but now I have had a few problems and need a little advice on getting them fixed...

pretty handy with tools, coniser myself a competent amateur DIY guy

Using Oil - some leakage - but not enough to account for all that is gone - using full synthetic 0W30 or 5W30. Will use of such light synthetics cause oil consumption? Visible oil around DS Valve cover and around fill cap... looks like some down from under timing belt cover on same side (cam seals?) Considering a DIY tear off of front end to do TB and cam seals... realistically how hard is it? I hear the "stock" gaskets and seals are a problem - are there better aftermarket ones that have a better success rate? If I pull off the front my thought is to do as much as possible to minimize the likleyhood of going in again ... starter, alternator, valve cover gaskets water pump, thermostat...is it all worth doing? what else?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Sounds like a good plan except for the starter and alternator. Do a full timing belt service will all the seals, gaskets and plugs.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So you think leave the Starter and Alternator? ( Looks like the front has to come off for those too.)

Are the audi oem seals the best bet for a forgiving reliable seal - or are there other mfrs out there that have built a better mousetrap?
Old 01-05-2010, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Starter and Alternator rarely fails,
on alternator voltage regulator fails but can be replaced with alternator on engine, I have done it twice in 10 years, I have replaced once alternator during timing belt since it failed and it was perfect timing.

I would go with Audi OEM seals, but even other companies offer good quality seals if they are available, there are number of sites that offer complete kits for timing belt, and parts are from realiable companies that Audi deals with
Old 01-05-2010, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

OEM Audi engine seals for the the C5 are garbage(I think my A6 had same engine seals reaplced under warranty twice in 30k) "Viton" made seals are superior.(Blauparts)
10w30
Complete parts replacement is critical for TB service, SEVERAL seals to redo. A Thourogh TB job is key for trouble-free operation from these cars. I wouldnt try to learn how to do my auto tb service on these cars, unless your totally proficient.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:12 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by Paco1427
(Looks like the front has to come off for those too.)

Are the audi oem seals the best bet for a forgiving reliable seal - or are there other mfrs out there that have built a better mousetrap?
Keep in mind that you need not go any further than service position to do the belt and other stuff. Front does not need to "come off."

There is nothing inherently wrong with the Audi seals. The heads generate a lot of heat, and after 75k miles, the seals should be replaced. I doubt that you will have better results with good quality aftermarket stuff.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:13 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by CrodA6
OEM Audi engine seals for the the C5 are garbage(I think my A6 had same engine seals reaplced under warranty twice in 30k) "Viton" made seals are superior.(Blauparts)
Based on....?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

My personal suggestion: do the TB service and seals as described above, forget the alternator and starter (you will when you see the price) AND check/clean the oil breathing system. Specially the suction pump. A clogged one may blow your seals and gaskets.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default agree with the above,

Not a bad job at all. I just finished the timing belt on our avant this last weekend. There are great write ups here about getting the bumper off and the front end in "service position". I believe any of the suppliers around this forum will have the timing belt kit with updated water pump and viton seals. It is much easier to do all the seals, (camshaft, cam tensioner seals, cam cover seals, etc) with the kind of access you will have when everything is out of the way. And, as mentioned above replace your suction pump and likely several broken and brittle hoses around your pvc and such.

Last quick note, besides all the great write ups contained on this site I also used the JHmotorsports DVD on changing the timing belt. It was great, easy to follow and helped me make sure I followed every step. It's like $20-30 and saved me hours! Rented the cambar from there as well.

good luck.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jenkins214
Last quick note, besides all the great write ups contained on this site I also used the JHmotorsports DVD on changing the timing belt. It was great, easy to follow and helped me make sure I followed every step. It's like $20-30 and saved me hours! Rented the cambar from there as well.

good luck.
Ooops! You got my attention! I'll do my TB job next month and was considering to buy exactly this DVD!
I have Bentley and the Audi documentation so I'm hesitating to buy this DVD because I'm affraid I'll pay for the same info a already have. Does it worth to buy even if I have the big Bentley? Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2001 A6 Avant - What to do?