A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

the car I bought only came with one switchblade master key and valet key; is this a problem???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the car I bought only came with one switchblade master key and valet key; is this a problem???

Since it was used, and sold "as is", I did not receive:

1. the second switchblade key (which I know I can get on eBay)

2. I didn't get the emergency key

3. Didn't get the ID Tag.

IS THIS A PROBLEM?

Can Audi get me extra sets of keys with my one existing switchblade key?
Old 09-20-2003, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default don't go to audi...it'll cost you a fortune...

i also had to get another key cause the stupid mechanic put one of mine in the alarm system so i can have remote start...it turned out i didn't need it there cause there's no immobilizer in 2000 A6s. i ordered an uncut key from ebay for $50 and had it cut for $20 at my local DMV. The guys that cut the key for me told me it would've been cheaper if i bought a used cut key (on ebay for about $10-$15) and they could've done the entire "key part" for me.

programming those remotes is really easy. just use the search for instructions...i think i still might have them somewhere.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default thanks airmax, but to confirm what you said...

to confirm what you said:

I should NOT need to waste extra money and get an "uncut" key on eBay.

INSTEAD --> I should buy an already cut key on eBay and have the local DMV create an entire key part (on the switchblade) for me?

How will they be able to get a hold of that unique metal piece for the switchblade key?

Please confirm. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2003, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I found these instructions for reprogramming the A6 remote key, however..

does the procedure for the identified "key 2" work on an A6 remote purchased off of eBay?

Directions:

1 Take the key you DO NOT want to program and put it in the ignition. Turn it one click forward, until the computer lights up but before starting the car.

2 Close and lock the drivers door with the second key. <--- I will purchase off of eBay and have the metal part re-cut to match my one master.

3 On the second key (the one in the drivers door) press the 'UNLOCK' button ONCE only. The lights will flash on the car, but the doors will remain locked. <--- will this work if I purchase the key from eBay and I have it cut for my car??????

4 With the second key still in the drivers door, unlock then lock the door again.

5 UNLOCK THE DOOR, Pull the key from the slot, TAKE KEY OUT OF IGNITION THEN test remote functions.

6 Open drivers door, remove key from ignition.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well.....

what i did was i bought an uncut key first...when i went to get it done at the DMV key shop the guy told me he would've done the metal part for me much cheaper than what i paid for in the difference between the uncut key and an already cut key.

second...if i were you, i'd go check out a locksmith or the DMV key shop (if you have one there) see if they could do that. the dmv i went to was in brooklyn, ny on west 4th.

third...not all locksmiths have the kind of machines you need to cut the audi keys.

let me know how it goes...
Old 09-20-2003, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default these are the exact directions i used...but instead of the master key i used the valet key because..

i did this procedure a couple of times before i got the key to work. also in my case, when i programmed the new remote the old remote lost the programming. what i did was i took the valet key and used it as the "key that i didn't want programmed."

good luck.