A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Car won't start ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Car won't start ...

Hello all, Happy New Year!

Call it a new year's gift, beast gracefully quits in a parking lot. Never had a starting trouble until now! First time this car got me stranded!!!

In the past, if I didn't turn/hold the key long enough to start (which I may have done couple times unintentionally), car wouldn't start. Cranking immediately again won't work and I'd have to wait for 10-30 seconds and it starts without any issues. Subsequent restarts are never an issue after that.

Yesterday was different. Finished an errand, came back to start and it fails. Thought I didn't turn/hold key long enough... waited for 30 secs. and tried again. Lot of cranking, tries to start and there was some serious hesitation, a bit of shaking etc. and dies. Waited for a minute, with gas floored, crank for 10 secs. starts..again lot of hesitation, struggles and dies. Left it overnight and tried again in the morning and it cranks but won't start. Battery is good and starter cranks with power.

Beast is pushing 145k on crutches here so, is it the heart (I mean, fuel pump)? Waiting to get it towed and then run VAG-COM diagnostics / check if flooded etc. Fuel pump fuse is good and I hear clicking of relays -didn't verify which ones or if the fuel pump is running/making noise.

Past few months, I've noticed a very slight power loss but chalked that up to age and wear. Never stopped on the road or displayed any "lack" of fuel type issues.

Thoughts? Similar experiences? Does it die without any symptoms? Strange!

Last edited by tester123; 01-14-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Starting to sound like the fuel pump isn't supplying enough fuel/ or fuel pressure to run the car. In the past having to crank for extended periods indicates lack of fuel pressure so I'm thinking it has been in the process of failing for some time and finally gave it up.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Does anyone know the make of this fuel pump? I have the part number as:
4B0 906 087 P

Searches on web, amazon come up with Siemens/VDO, VDO, Airtex etc. and of course the OEM from audiparts . com being the highest in price.

If the original is Siemens/VDO, then I'll get that. I am sure the car will be fine without the Audi LOGO in the tank...
Old 01-17-2017, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
That is the VAG part number. VDO makes the pump for VAG, ...
Thank you. Got the part number from ETKA so, I knew it's VAG part number but I haven't opened the pump yet so not sure of the manufacturer.

Are you certain that it is VDO?
Old 01-17-2017, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like 4B0906087P is VDO

OEM: 4B0906087P
MPN: 228228006003Z
By Siemens VDO

https://www.europaparts.com/fuel-pump-4b0906087p.html
Old 01-18-2017, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Metronet
Looks like 4B0906087P is VDO

OEM: 4B0906087P
MPN: 228228006003Z
By Siemens VDO

https://www.europaparts.com/fuel-pump-4b0906087p.html
Thank You Metronet!

I checked the pump's connector for power and there is full power to light the 12v bulb tester. Will do a final check at the fuel rail and see if there is gas / pressure there. This way I know for sure it is the pump and not some ignition module(s) or related power to them.

Thanks again for finding this part. I suppose that is the best price on this.. Of course, I don't want to put an aftermarket version and do this all over in 1 year again...
Old 01-19-2017, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, hope you get it back on the road soon!

The one I replaced for a 2.7T, pump still works but the check valve failed. I also found small pieces of some kind of hard plastic in white colour at the bottom of the Quattro fuel tank. I didn't bother to clean it up and just let the fuel pump intake filter do it's job.

When the check valve fails on mine, it takes some time to bleed the fuel and eventually it would start. It's kind of annoying, and amazing how the pump still runs when you find disintegrated parts in the fuel tank LOL!

Btw, IIRC the pump I got from Europa is exactly the same as the original except you can kind of see the Audi logo has been scraped off...
Old 01-19-2017, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Cool, hope you get it back on the road soon!

The one I replaced for a 2.7T, pump still works but the check valve failed.,,
Where is this "Check valve"? Within the pump..?

Btw, IIRC the pump I got from Europa is exactly the same as the original except you can kind of see the Audi logo has been scraped off...
I know what you mean... I've done timing belt, cam covers, seals, water pump etc., a while ago and the bearings I've got in the kit (Blaupart) are INA and other makes which are exactly the same even in color etc., except the Audi logo. This is fine in my book. Don't need to pay extra for a logo I'll never see.

Only thing I wonder sometimes is if the Audi versions are built to a better tolerance (in some cases)... Particularly, water pump, bearings and other critical parts. In the case where logo is disfigured, the answer is obvious but in other cases like bearings where the logo is stamped onto the metal of bearing rings itself, I wonder if the better than no logo version... probably just a feeling.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So today with weather permitting, I attempted to get more gas out of the tank. It has anti-siphon feature so the thicker hose could only get some out. But after watching a youtube video to bypass the anti-siphon, I bought 7ft of plastic hose (like water line for refrigerator), cut in an angle and that slipped by where a bigger diameter hose won't go further.

I bought from from a local hardware store for $0.17/ft! I was able to get past the anti-siphon and pulled out close to 5 gallons of gas (hand pumping was PIA).

Afterwards, I pushed the hose in all different angles, repeatedly re-inserted and pushed in over 7ft of that hose but I am not getting any more gas -but the gauge shows little less than 1/2 still remaining!

I am trying to avoid removing the level sensor opening / retaining ring... and get the gas out.

Where could that 7ft of hose go and still miss 1/2 tank??

Last edited by tester123; 01-25-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Google a photo of the fuel tank removed. That hose could go anywhere or just accumulate in a pile. You not worried about it tangling and coming back out?

Quick Reply: Car won't start ...