A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Clutch is not fully disengaging

Old 09-07-2015, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch is not fully disengaging

Hey guys, it has been a while since I have been on here. I hope everyone has been well.
So here is a quick rundown of the issue. I have an old 2001 A6 2.7t with the 0E1 6-speed. The known 1-2 shift collar issue finally got the best of the transmission last fall and I parked it. Before I did though I noticed that the clutch was not fully disengaging and shifting into any gear became quite the chore. Anyway I swapped out the trans last weekend and while it was off I swapped out my LWFW for my old dual mass as well to see if I could alleviate the low rpm chatter caused by the LWFW. The clutch is an RS4 PP with a stage 3 disk setup. Only has about 30k miles on it but definitely showing some wear. I would have liked to replace it but it wasn’t necessary and I don’t really have the extra funds right now. So instead I just reset the self adjusting RS4 PP back to new and reinstalled the clutch with a new T.O. bearing that I happened to have lying around. When all was said and done I was testing the clutch and realized I still had the issue of the clutch not fully disengaging and oddly enough I still have the low rpm chatter too. I can feel the pedal when it activates the PP and it feels like it is pushing in the fingers just fine but I guess just not far enough. So I figure it must be an issue on the hydraulic side. Fluid is good so I bleed the slave cylinder and did not find any air in the system. I then picked up a new clutch master cylinder, installed it, and bleed the system again. That is a PITA to install btw if you have not done it on our cars before. The pedal feels good but it did before too. However, it is still not fully disengaging the clutch just as before. I guess I can try replacing the slave cylinder next but it is not leaking and they usually do when they go bad. I guess it is possible the plunger in the slave is leaking by but I did replace that slave only 30k (2-3 years) ago so I would not think it would be worn out yet. Has anyone else had this issue or maybe additional suggestions? Thanks!