AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   Codes Random Miss Fire A6 2.7T Then Gone.. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/codes-random-miss-fire-a6-2-7t-then-gone-2810185/)

MCrouse 07-27-2011 08:24 PM

Codes Random Miss Fire A6 2.7T Then Gone..

A6 Quattro 2004 2.7T ... 105K Miles..

I"ll be quick about this because im guessing that it is just one of those things.. Check engine light comes on.. I plug into the cars computer and it is coding a "random miss fire" (i forget the actual code but i checked it and it was a random miss fire)... At this point im guessing its plugs or coil packs.. Either way, I took it to a local mechanic who does do good work on Audis.. He hooks into the cars computer and gets a random miss fire in cylinders 1 and 6 .. but then after a min. the check engine light goes off and the car no longer codes anything... Any thoughts or suggestions or insight....??? Thanks Thanks & Thanks... Mike

tester123 07-27-2011 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by MCrouse (Post 24175571)
A6 Quattro 2004 2.7T ... 105K Miles..

I"ll be quick about this because im guessing that it is just one of those things.. Check engine light comes on.. I plug into the cars computer and it is coding a "random miss fire" (i forget the actual code but i checked it and it was a random miss fire)... At this point im guessing its plugs or coil packs.. Either way, I took it to a local mechanic who does do good work on Audis.. He hooks into the cars computer and gets a random miss fire in cylinders 1 and 6 .. but then after a min. the check engine light goes off and the car no longer codes anything... Any thoughts or suggestions or insight....??? Thanks Thanks & Thanks... Mike

ummm... be thankful it didn't come back???

on a serious note, it could just be a fluke or some connector wiggle... hard to say without it being consistent.

4Driver4 07-28-2011 03:12 AM

When was the last time the coolant temp sensor was replaced?

MCrouse 07-28-2011 06:12 PM

I bought the car used with 98K on it a few months ago... Im guessing that it hasnt been changed.. Seems like 100K is about the time stuff like that starts to act up.... Im all for changing things that should be changed and are simple enough to do (which i think coolent sensor might be) If you think that might be something to try.. Let me know and if you know of any step by step links that might be helpful, that would be muchas appreciated..

What are your thoughts on my O2 sensors... If I remember right.. You mention that you had run our O2's a hell of a long way.. I want to say on your wifes car maybe pushing 200K.. Am I right..?? I have it in my head that mine need to be changed.. I have thoughts of better performance and fuel econ.

Either way, I would be interested in your thought on these matters.. Mike

4Driver4 07-28-2011 06:41 PM

The coolant temp sensors are not terribly reliable and can go at at time. I keep two on the shelf at all times. Check the tech section for several write-ups on replacement. It's not difficult.

Wife is at 307k as of tonight (miles, not kilometers). Probably replaced that sensor three or more times. At this point, I think we may have changed one O2 sensor.

raj99 07-28-2011 10:35 PM

Which sensors do you have? Are they these ones?
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-...Sensor/ES1484/

Meaning the Green ones vs. Blue ones?

4Driver4 07-29-2011 03:15 AM

I tend not to buy anything from ECS, and those are not the sensors my car takes. I do, however, have two of those as well.

tester123 07-29-2011 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by 4Driver4 (Post 24176138)
I tend not to buy anything from ECS

Any particular reason or do you just stick with OEM? Not related to ECS, I am planning to do the timing belt replacement soon and looking into different options. The kit from Blauparts seems like a good idea. What are your thoughts? Would you suggest the kit or sourcing OEM parts from the dealer?

4Driver4 07-29-2011 05:37 AM

I buy everything through the same source that Axis Motorsports uses. That's why I recommend him so often. I'll go to the dealer for some parts where initial batches were bad and improvements were made.

As for ECS, I've bought from them, but there are so many complaints here and on other forums that I do not recommend them. The credit card issue they had a few years back was mishandled IMHO, and there have been tons of delays in shipping and poor communication.

I've not bought from Jim Blau, but I've not heard much in the way of complaints.