A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Oil LiGHT Constant pLz HelP

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil LiGHT Constant pLz HelP

WATS UP GUYS MY Oil light comes on everytime i start the car and drive off the big picture comes up and the beeping begins it stops but the warning picture stays on everytime i restart the car same thing happens ....anyone can help really appreciated ...... i checked the oil level is good and the oil pump was recently changed.... (2000 a6 2.7t) THANKS
Old 04-12-2010, 02:56 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Why was the pump changed? Was the pressure checked after the change? Has the autocheck system been checked out?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Well, my guess it it comes on because the oil pressure is low at startup. It goes out because the oil pressure comes up with some rpm on the engine.

I'm not saying it's not the autocheck system, but it's not likely.

What's up is you or your service guy (preferably the guy who raked you over for a new oil pump if that was what was recommended to solve the 'problem.') needs to check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge under the conditions you describe, i.e., startup.

If the condition is verified by the mechanical oil pressure gauge, then you likely have worn main bearings...classic.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

comment #1: its too coincidental that the pump was just replaced. SO some detailed diagnosis needs to be done. Starting with measurements ( as noted)

comment #2: (for SloopJBM)i have rarely heard of Audi lower ends wearing. Are you saying its a classic failure, or, if it did wear, that's a classic for requiring abnormally high pump volume( hense low presure). Just checking....

G
Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

anyone think it could be a bad sensor, i remember these being prone to failure on certain models
Old 04-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

I do...but the comments about the pump being changed alarm me.

I've never heard of anyone changing the pump on a 30v. What sort of diagnostic work was done to point a finger at the pump?

Was it a guess? In that case it was probably a bad one and there is a bad sensor.

Was it diagnosed as low presseure? Is there some other issue?

If this post did not mention the pump replacement, I would have suggested that he check sensor wiring and perhaps change the sensor.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I do...but the comments about the pump being changed alarm me.

I've never heard of anyone changing the pump on a 30v. What sort of diagnostic work was done to point a finger at the pump?

Was it a guess? In that case it was probably a bad one and there is a bad sensor.

Was it diagnosed as low presseure? Is there some other issue?

If this post did not mention the pump replacement, I would have suggested that he check sensor wiring and perhaps change the sensor.
agreed, i think pump was replaced to fix low oil level light, even though it was most likely the sensor. OP could you clarify why the pump was replaced? was its low oil pressure(measured with a gauge) or just because the oil light was on (also an indication of olow oilpressure/no oil, but also more often then not illuminated due to bad sensors)
Old 04-13-2010, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

guys my dad drives a6 2.7t 99 and have the same problem. When starting the engine the light comes on, but if he opens up the front hood the light go off.Is that only the sensor or a low pressure?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

well the pump was changed by previous owner he said he thought it would stop it but obviously didnt ..............so i should check the sensor as first step?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

and the big pic of the oil can stays on the led screen

Quick Reply: Oil LiGHT Constant pLz HelP