A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

couldn't pass on this car

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couldn't pass on this car

Evening...
Just picked up a 2000 A6 4.2 for under 5g's:
37500miles, dealer serviced about every six months.
Nothing but Mobil1 for oil, timing belt done @ 25K a couple years ago (yes, 25000 miles, crazy!)

Was an older guys "saturday night dinner" car. He just bought an X3 and wanted to get rid of it.
I don't think it's been in the elements, and from the looks of it no one has ever sat in the back seat.
It looks like it just came out of a museum. Check the doorjambs, everything looks like that!

I'm almost afraid to turn it into a daily driver.
All I can see to do at the moment is buffing out the drivers side headlight.

I know about the potential for the ZF tranny to go kaput.
For what I'm into this for, I may start a slush fund to do the 6spd conversion.

This is replacing my 98 A4Q2.8 with 270K on the odo. I've done the majority of the work on that, so not afraid to get dirty....timing belt 3 or 4 times.

Besides the tranny, what do I need to look out for on the A6?

Thanks in advance
Ted
Attached Images         
Old 10-19-2015, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looking at the engine picture, I want to go out and pull all the plastic covers off!
Old 10-20-2015, 01:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 323 Likes on 272 Posts

That interior is NEAT!!! Why would you want to work on the transmission if there's nothing wrong at this point? I would suggest you use the car as is and listen to it. If you feel something is wrong then you can work on it. If it was me I would just check the brakes, change fluids and/or filters for engine, fuel, cooling system, steering system, brake system and restore that driver side headlight and I'd be good to go.

Last edited by kelisko; 10-20-2015 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shredr - you are right to change the tranny fluid and filter. I would also maybe flush the cooling system - it may have some sediment in the heater core.

Beyond that, like Kelisko said, check the brakes, suspension, bearings and cv joints. My biggest problem with my A6 2.7TQ has been the suspension, but that wasn't until I had 275,000 miles on it, but my car is a 2004.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Kelisko: Not doing trans swap immediately, just putting funds aside in case I need to.

Jesklund: I figured I'd drive it for a couple weeks and bring it to the dealer to flush everything that may get loosened up with "regular exercise" of the vehicle. Have them give it a once over to see what they say. For what I'm into this for, I can afford to put it in their hands. They're the only ones who've touched this, even for oil changes!
Old 10-20-2015, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Timing belt and related was likely done due to age not miles driven. I echo doing a trans fluid service... Fresh fluid and filter will enable the cleaners in the new fluid to loosen any sludge. I would suggest you get the tools to do this yourself. It is worthwhile doing the trans every 30-50k miles.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I wouldn't bring it to an Audi dealer. Nothing but bad luck with dealers for me. Find a good Indy to do the work. They are used to working on these older cars.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Helluva good price. Where?

Originally Posted by shredr
Evening...
Just picked up a 2000 A6 4.2 for under 5g's:
37500miles, dealer serviced about every six months.
Nothing but Mobil1 for oil, timing belt done @ 25K a couple years ago (yes, 25000 miles, crazy!)

Was an older guys "saturday night dinner" car. He just bought an X3 and wanted to get rid of it.
I don't think it's been in the elements, and from the looks of it no one has ever sat in the back seat.
It looks like it just came out of a museum. Check the doorjambs, everything looks like that!

I'm almost afraid to turn it into a daily driver.
All I can see to do at the moment is buffing out the drivers side headlight.

I know about the potential for the ZF tranny to go kaput.
For what I'm into this for, I may start a slush fund to do the 6spd conversion.

This is replacing my 98 A4Q2.8 with 270K on the odo. I've done the majority of the work on that, so not afraid to get dirty....timing belt 3 or 4 times.

Besides the tranny, what do I need to look out for on the A6?

Thanks in advance
Ted
Old 10-20-2015, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Rhode Island...but don't hold that quack Linc Chaffee against me!

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Old 10-20-2015, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nicest A6 still alive it looks like!
Service the transmission every 40k and we can see how long it lasts. My A8's just gave up reverse at 120k....