A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Differential windup/binding on quattro - oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential windup/binding on quattro - oil change?

Hi there

Am new here but had my 2003 2.5TDi quattro sport for about 3 years and love it.

Anyway from day one its suffered from a small amount of transmission windup (I'm from the UK so for me transmission means the whole drivetrain not just the gearbox) which I took to be normal given its permanent 4wd and has a torsen centre diff. However it is starting to get become more pronounced so I figure that maybe there is something amiss even if it is just it needs the oils changing, as the car only came with partial history I don't know when or even if it has ever been changed - cars dome 172k miles

So my question I guess is does a lack of oil changes tend to cause windup/binding issues on these cars or is there possibly something else wrong?
And also what oils are recommended for the gearbox and rear diff (may as well do that whilst I'm at it)?

thanks
Old 03-30-2017, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

If by windup you mean what we colonists call backlash, it may have something to do with the dual mass flywheel (if you have a manual transmission). They can develop play and when getting on and off the power, there is a bit of a jerk. It does become worse over a period of time as the rubber in the flywheel deteriorates.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi by windup I mean where the different relative speeds of the wheels and the torque biasing nature of the centre diff means that one or more tyres has to slip in order to allow them all to keep turning. Its common with locking differentials, plate/clutch type LSDs and part time 4x4s with no centre differential, I'm just not sure if the torsen type diffs "tighten up" as the oil degrades to give a similar effect.

Transmission Wind-Up
Old 03-30-2017, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not getting into technical terms but, when I turn it feels like the outer wheel(s) to turn do slip or I hear a bit of dirt drag noises under the tire and whole car has slight vibration. But this is when making a tight turn like a sharp u-turn etc.

As far as oils, unfortunately, there is no oil in the market that lasts lifelong as Audi states about automatic transmission fluid (i.e. gearbox). If you define the car's "life" to be 100k, yeah, that makes sense.

For all intents and purposes, it is in your best interest to change the transmission fluid at least every 75k miles or earlier and, the differentials could go for 75k easily.

I've done it. While there is no "night & day" difference, it made the entire driveline much smoother.

Change transmission fluid properly as per procedures and replace the filter as well.
Drain and refill differntial fluids to correct levels and you won't have to worry.
Mine has Front, Center & Rear!

Last edited by tester123; 03-30-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Wind up is not something I have ever experienced in my 32 years of owning 9 or 10 Audi Quattros and driven them nearly 1,000,000 miles (including family members). I have never even serviced a differential. Nor do I recall reading about Quattro drive issues more than a few times on this forum over the several years of reading nearly every post. The Quattro all wheel drive system is one of the least problematic issues these cars have.

This does not mean it could not be your problem, but I would look elsewhere first. Have you ruled out a binding wheel bearing or CV joint or brake or something tied to a single axle? Or, a drive shaft bearing?

Last edited by clancy; 03-30-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by clancy
Wind up is not something I have ever experienced in my 32 years of owning 9 or 10 Audi Quattros and driven them nearly 1,000,000 miles (including family members). I have never even serviced a differential. Nor do I recall reading about Quattro drive issues more than a few times on this forum over the several years of reading nearly every post. The Quattro all wheel drive system is one of the least problematic issues these cars have.

This does not mean it could not be your problem, but I would look elsewhere first. Have you ruled out a binding wheel bearing or CV joint or brake or something tied to a single axle? Or, a drive shaft bearing?
Having googled it extensively before registering here it does seem to be a fairly common thing. As a former rally technichian and a more current 4x4 (offroad) enthusiast I am pretty familiar with wind up and how it feels and am sure this is the issue was just after some guidance on the torsen diffs.

Originally Posted by tester123
As far as oils, unfortunately, there is no oil in the market that lasts lifelong as Audi states about automatic transmission fluid (i.e. gearbox). If you define the car's "life" to be 100k, yeah, that makes sense.

For all intents and purposes, it is in your best interest to change the transmission fluid at least every 75k miles or earlier and, the differentials could go for 75k easily.

I've done it. While there is no "night & day" difference, it made the entire driveline much smoother.

Change transmission fluid properly as per procedures and replace the filter as well.
Drain and refill differntial fluids to correct levels and you won't have to worry.
Mine has Front, Center & Rear!
You're right of course though modern oils are like night and day from those of when I started driving when it come to longevity, and the oil in manual boxes (I should have said its a manual 6 speed) has a much easier life than auto boxes not getting anywhere near as hot, but I really ought to do it.

So what are the recommended oil specs and quantities please? Or can someone point me at an online version of the Audi workshop manual, I've always found the relevant forum will have access to manuals in the past and have a collection of them from other vehicles I've owned.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

"Having googled it extensively before registering here it does seem to be a fairly common thing. As a former rally technichian and a more current 4x4 (offroad) enthusiast I am pretty familiar with wind up and how it feels and am sure this is the issue was just after some guidance on the torsen diffs.

Fascinating... I will be most interested in hearing your confirmation and resolution. Too many people come onto this site, post their problem, and never post how they fixed it. Please be sure to clue us in.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sptb
...So what are the recommended oil specs and quantities please? Or can someone point me at an online version of the Audi workshop manual, I've always found the relevant forum will have access to manuals in the past and have a collection of them from other vehicles I've owned.
Seems like yours is not a standard that we deal with here... No worries, find/share the Engine Code, Transmission Code, and Final Drive code.

That way I can find the specifications for you. You can also share your VIN. It should decode from that. If you're not comfortable with sharing in public (actually not a big deal but to each their own right...), you can send a PM of your VIN and I can let you know the rest here...
Old 04-07-2017, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi - been away from the car for a couple of days

VIN - WAUZZZ4BXN012563

Engine BDH

transmission EUT FTL

thanks
Old 04-07-2017, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Check the oil in the center diff.

Most old cars are leaking and as they get low/dry they can bind.

Quick Reply: Differential windup/binding on quattro - oil change?