A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Driver's Seat Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's Seat Help

Hello all,

I have a 2001 A6 Quattro 2.8L ATQ, 258000 KM currently
I bought it February of 2016 with 233000 KM, it was my first car, and when I bought it, I didn't know a single thing about cars, so I didn't realize until after I bought it, that the guy I bought it from completely ripped me off and there were several issues. He had his dealership, (he was a general sales manager at a VW dealership, I did not know this when I bought the car) falsify the safety certificate. In short, all 4 shocks leaking, worn out control arms, transmission & differential leaks, oil leak, coolant leak, whole host of electrical problems, exhaust leak, bad O2 sensor and on and on and on (yes I realize some of these things are not checked as part of the safety process, at least in Ontario and at that time).

Anyways, I have spent considerable time and money trying to restore the car since I bought it, along the way I have learnt a fair share about cars and bought the service manual as well. One of the electrical problems it had was the driver's seat function to move the seat forward and backward was not working, and the seat is almost completely at the front. I am a big guy, and it is an absolute pain to drive this way, and my job requires I wear a lot of gear, so when I drive to work, it is literally painful.

I am finally trying to fix the issue, I took out the switch and it doesn't appear corroded, I can hear the switch click when I press it, but the seat does not move forward or backward. I checked under the carpet, no visual signs of water leaks getting in or corrosion.

I somewhat took out the driver's seat today, removing the two front 13 mm bolts to lift the seat up and back (which was a real pain since the seat was almost completely at the front) to try and manually move the seat back but the actual slider is still stuck in that position. I've attached the photos, and circled the slider piece (yes its quite dirty and stained down there, I will be cleaning up as well), does anyone know how I would be able to manually move that piece forward so I can bolt the seat back in with it being at the most back position?

Also the driver's seat does rock as well when I accelerate and brake, and I noticed that there was some play in that slider piece that seems to be the cause, would anyone know how to fix this as well?

I am assuming the cause is the motor at this point, but I am not sure

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Old 05-24-2017, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE:

I removed the 13 mm nut and the four T20 screws at the front of the shaft close to where the two bolts go in to secure the seat which did nothing and located two T25 scews on the bottom of that slider piece and removed those as well which again did nothing. I was however able to see the wire for that motor was corroded and was cut through so that would be the cause for that function not working.

I am now stuck on trying to remove the actual seat so I can see what else I can do to move that slider because of the connectors, I can't seem to unplug them or find any tabs to remove them, can anyone guide me on this?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2017, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Google is your friend. I found several instructionals listed.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post15063018

I am sure there are more if you search