A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Erratic Throttle Response/ESP?

Old 06-25-2014, 08:57 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Joking aside, this is an Audi luxo-barge, not a race car. Inputs from the brake will cut throttle response. The car is designed to be driven with one foot on one pedal at a time. As a race driver, you should understand the importance of driving within the limits of the machine.

PS - I have years of HPDE experience under my belt, and I track a non-ABS Miata. Do I know how to threshold brake? Yes. Am I good at it? Yes? Can I out-brake the same exact car that has ABS, assuming both are braking at threshold? Not a chance.

When braking at the threshold in a non-ABS car, you are limited by the tire with the least grip; over brake that tire, and the wheel locks up even if the others are below threshold. With ABS, you can push one or more tires past threshold if you find it advantageous to do so, as ABS will keep that wheel from locking.

You may have mad skilz, but ABS provides bias control that you need to keep the rear wheels turning in a threshold situation.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Joking aside, this is an Audi luxo-barge, not a race car. Inputs from the brake will cut throttle response. The car is designed to be driven with one foot on one pedal at a time. As a race driver, you should understand the importance of driving within the limits of the machine.

PS - I have years of HPDE experience under my belt, and I track a non-ABS Miata. Do I know how to threshold brake? Yes. Am I good at it? Yes? Can I out-brake the same exact car that has ABS, assuming both are braking at threshold? Not a chance.

When braking at the threshold in a non-ABS car, you are limited by the tire with the least grip; over brake that tire, and the wheel locks up even if the others are below threshold. With ABS, you can push one or more tires past threshold if you find it advantageous to do so, as ABS will keep that wheel from locking.

You may have mad skilz, but ABS provides bias control that you need to keep the rear wheels turning in a threshold situation.
Very clear explanation of ABS function at the track. tnx
Old 06-25-2014, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Unlikely to be the cause of the brake/throttle issue.
I've got two V8s…i've not noticed a problem with left foot braking as long as I don't overlap.
As for mileage….about the only time I drop below 16-17 around town is when my daughter prefers to drive in S….
Old 06-27-2014, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4

This isn't about driving skills, I just didn't want to sound like some dopey grandpa who goes down the road dragging his brakes on all the time. My only objective here is solve the throttle response problem. I only mentioned the left foot braking because it is becoming clear that the brake/throttle overlap, even if it is as brief as I can simulate, is clearly emerging as the sole provoking circumstance associated with the problem. I just want to either fix or defeat the system that causes me to lose perhaps 80% of power if I inadvertently release the brake .001 second after I begin to accelerate. It can be dangerous if it happens when I am trying to pull out into traffic and it is most certainly annoying. And most of all, I don't like my car telling me how to drive either.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by gforcejim
This isn't about driving skills, I just didn't want to sound like some dopey grandpa who goes down the road dragging his brakes on all the time. My only objective here is solve the throttle response problem. I only mentioned the left foot braking because it is becoming clear that the brake/throttle overlap, even if it is as brief as I can simulate, is clearly emerging as the sole provoking circumstance associated with the problem. I just want to either fix or defeat the system that causes me to lose perhaps 80% of power if I inadvertently release the brake .001 second after I begin to accelerate. It can be dangerous if it happens when I am trying to pull out into traffic and it is most certainly annoying. And most of all, I don't like my car telling me how to drive either.
If I left foot brake in city traffic I'm not particularly worried about throttle response when I get off the brake…that smacks of aggressive driving….I see it all the time where people are either on the brake or on the gas…not a good way to drive.
I don't think the solution to the overlap problem is to defeat the safety margins built into the systems programs for the 99% of the driving public that is not going to "inadvertently release the brake .001 second after I begin to accelerate." much less deliberately doing so (power braking is so last millennium…if you want to do that get a line lock).
Old 06-28-2014, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
If I left foot brake in city traffic I'm not particularly worried about throttle response when I get off the brake…that smacks of aggressive driving….I see it all the time where people are either on the brake or on the gas…not a good way to drive.
I don't think the solution to the overlap problem is to defeat the safety margins built into the systems programs for the 99% of the driving public that is not going to "inadvertently release the brake .001 second after I begin to accelerate." much less deliberately doing so (power braking is so last millennium…if you want to do that get a line lock).
Ok, then don't respond to my posts. I don't need this kind of advice.