AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   Exhaust rattles. Suspect cats. Straight pipe?? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/exhaust-rattles-suspect-cats-straight-pipe-2844629/)

TimZ 03-22-2013 11:43 AM

Exhaust rattles. Suspect cats. Straight pipe??

Hey guys,
I'm suspecting that I need one or two new catalytic converters. Rattling and general ugly sounds coming from that area. Instead of spending a fortune on new ones (its my winter car so I'm looking for the inexpensive route), would straight pipes be alright? I know that I'd be doing worse for the environment but lets face it, the 4.2 isn't a green producing motor. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Tim
'02 S6 Avant

SloopJohnB@mac.com 03-22-2013 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by TimZ (Post 24423138)
Hey guys,
I'm suspecting that I need one or two new catalytic converters. Rattling and general ugly sounds coming from that area. Instead of spending a fortune on new ones (its my winter car so I'm looking for the inexpensive route), would straight pipes be alright? I know that I'd be doing worse for the environment but lets face it, the 4.2 isn't a green producing motor. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Tim
'02 S6 Avant

If you can't afford cats then sell the car for parts.

Huskerbob 03-22-2013 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com (Post 24423158)
If you can't afford cats then sell the car for parts.

Couldn't agree more! Sell it for parts if you can't swing the cats.

Redneck Truck 03-23-2013 05:14 AM

Ooh, I'll buy the car; I can deal with rattling cats. If you find a muffler shop that's willing to risk their necks, it's your call, but you won't pass emissions either. If you buy some new down pipes, I'd take the old ones off your hands.

Just Me 03-23-2013 05:41 AM

live with rattles?

In an old VW (81 scirocco, callaway turbo, rolled alas), mine began rattling at 90k. No performance issues, just cracked honeycomb. One day some rather spirited driving blew the junk out. No more rattle.

Grant

GTA_Driver 03-23-2013 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by TimZ (Post 24423138)
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Tim
'02 S6 Avant

The rattle in my 4.2 A6 eventually stopped, looks like the parts blew out to the muffler. I can't see myself spending $3000 on oem downpipes with cats either, but the car is passing emissions very well so i am not pressed to find a solution.

There are some aftermarket options, but for the 4.2 there is only 1 other manufacturer who makes full performance DPs with high flow cats, i forget the name. It's about $2K. If it's the s6 you're talking about, that's the route i would go. It's a special car deserving special care.

Otherwise get an exhaust shop cut off old ones and weld in new ones.

Airbag 03-23-2013 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver (Post 24423377)
The rattle in my 4.2 A6 eventually stopped, looks like the parts blew out to the muffler. I can't see myself spending $3000 on oem downpipes with cats either, but the car is passing emissions very well so i am not pressed to find a solution.

There are some aftermarket options, but for the 4.2 there is only 1 other manufacturer who makes full performance DPs with high flow cats, i forget the name. It's about $2K. If it's the s6 you're talking about, that's the route i would go. It's a special car deserving special care.

Otherwise get an exhaust shop cut off old ones and weld in new ones.

you dont throw a cat efficiency code ? it should ..

GTA_Driver 03-23-2013 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Airbag (Post 24423414)
you dont throw a cat efficiency code ? it should ..

I do. Spacers going on it to address that.

d6lc 03-23-2013 04:46 PM

Why the negative sell the car comments?, I agree with the OP, if it's your winter beater your not going to plow 20+% of the value of the car to replace the cats especially if your state doesnt have emissions tests.
Reality for many of us is that we are maintaining them to keep them going and sooner or later a repair bill just isnt economically viable, and its trade in time, outside the RS6 no 4.2 is going to be collectable.

Huskerbob 03-23-2013 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by d6lc (Post 24423539)
Why the negative sell the car comments?, I agree with the OP, if it's your winter beater your not going to plow 20+% of the value of the car to replace the cats especially if your state doesnt have emissions tests.
Reality for many of us is that we are maintaining them to keep them going and sooner or later a repair bill just isnt economically viable, and its trade in time, outside the RS6 no 4.2 is going to be collectable.

So it's okay to pollute the air we all breathe as long as the state doesn't test for it? And since it's "your winter beater" you can slide by without the cats?

If you can't afford the car get rid of it and get a Honda but don't b.s. me with your justification for ditching the cats. It doesn't wash. Either get the cats or sell the car for parts. Don't try to hang it in someone else's ass.