A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Failed central locking controller

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed central locking controller

Shocked beyond all belief. When I bought my 2003 A6 I was really impressed by the engineering and attention to detail. Was I wrong.

Just got the central locking module out. Filled with mold and corrosion and a broken wire on the largest plug. The circuit board was covered with slime in places. Everything wet.

What kind of moron would put this piece of equipment under the carpet in the lowest point where clogged
sun roof drains or other sources could flood it. What kind of moron would put the circuit board in an enclosure which was supposed to be waterproof and is not.

Thoroughly disgusted. Unbelievable.

I am drying everything out and cleaning with electrical contact cleaner. Will solder broken wire.

A failure means a throw away?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exploring damage (ordered replacement).

On the central locking unit, there is some damage (peeled foil etc.)

Most obvious

Connector 1 is a 12 pin connector.

The power connections are pin 12 gnd and pin 11 +12v.

The conductor from pin 11 to the circuit board is corroded through. A 1/16" gap corroded out of
the 3/16" wide strap from connector to PCB.

Car was running fine until problem arose. Can't see how flooding unit could instantaneously cause this failure.

I am concerned that replacing the control unit will result in another failure due to some other cause.

Any suggestions appreciated. Any way to get a circuit diagram for the control unit so I can see what a few burned/discolored places on the PCB are feeds to?

Best regrads

Old 06-24-2019, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So, you expected German engineering?
Old 06-26-2019, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes I expected German engineering. Anyway today I received the replacement (used but appearing in fine pristine condition) . Came with key supposedly coded to unit.

Did not consider key with different routed pattern in it. I assume my old key matched to ignition switch but not programmed to new security controller.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Car starts without any security controller installed.

Once I hook up the new controller, will the old key still start the car and allow me to program the key in the door to the new controller?
Old 06-26-2019, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hook up the new controller. Start the car with the old key.

Programming is done with VCDS.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

What programming would I have to do?