A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Feedback - possibly buying C5 sight unseen

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

georgeb is dead on target here. I would NOT buy one of these sight unseen. Too many quirks that do not relate to "normal" cars. You did not mention your location but places like Craig's List, and even the classified on this site usually have quite a few listings of used vehicles in your local area. You are talking about a 17 year old car that is subject to somewhat expensive routine maintenance that while common to high end European units is nothing like domestic costs. Though the mileage on that car is low age plays into it. A lot of rubber and neoprene items will weather, crack, or otherwise fail every few years depending on climate conditions and how the car is used. Bottom line here is I would find something local and ask around for a knowledgeable technician to inspect the car, the more Audi experience the better.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought my Audi A6 2004 sight unseen. Luckily I've not had anything major to fix so far. Just smaller things. Not very costly. But I also know a guy who does repairs so I get it cheap. I also get the parts cheap thanks to my brother working at a auto parts dealer. About 35-40% off. But I will never buy a car sight unseen again
Old 09-14-2017, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TFT
What state is it in? Maybe we have a member nearby that can at least take a look at it.
The car is near Fredericksburg, VA. I, however, live in Colorado. If someone on here lives near there and would be willing to check it out and have a mechanic look at it, I would certainly reimburse.

As stated before, the ones in the local area here are not great. Either they have serious hail damage, busted turbos or trans, or really high mileage.

So, upon searching nationwide, this one caught my attention above all others.

If someone on here is willing to go see it for me, PM me and we can work out the details.

Otherwise, yes, I may simply have to gamble and hope for the best.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I have seen several Audis recently advertised in the Jackson, Wy area that seemed to have reasonable mileage and prices were also pretty good. They were later models. There are probably a few in the Idaho Falls, Id. area as well. The reason I suggest that is that Jackson is an hour and twenty minutes by air from DIA. I will also PM you.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here's the link to the vehicle in question.

2000 Audi A6 2.7T

Thoughts/impressions?
Old 09-15-2017, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Anyone?
Old 09-15-2017, 06:50 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Meh. I can't get excited for $3k...not from a dealer. Maybe if I knew the owner and history.
Drive it first. Crazy to do that unseen.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Meh. I can't get excited for $3k...not from a dealer. Maybe if I knew the owner and history.
Drive it first. Crazy to do that unseen.
What price would make it exciting, then?
Old 09-15-2017, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, here is what I see, two things

1) ITS A MANUAL!!! Clutch and flywheel replacements are much cheaper than the auto. Big win there.

2) The right passenger side rear seat caught my eye. I have a toddler and that seat looks like its had a child seat on that side, for quite sometime. Most people won't put their kid in an audi that doesn't run well.

Knowing now that it isn't an auto, at least makes me feel better. But still for that price, something ... I don't know. Worst case, you sell it after you buy it.

Get someone to inspect that engine, turbo's and oil leaks. power steering etc all the good stuff..

But I will say again, its not an automatic, big win there.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

UPDATE: just got the full report from the inspection company I used and WOW. just, WOW.

i am definitely passing on this A6 and continuing my search thanks to the INSANE thoroughness of their test drive and inspection. add the fact they called me and walked me through the vehicle and their impression immediately after before even posting their report online... so legit.

so, if anyone spots a black on black 2.7t MT for sale, let me know! i am open to any of the 48 states now that i know how hardcore this company is for vehicles sight unseen!

just cause... for the next 30 days, you can all view the report here, if interested. i saved it as a pdf and uploaded it: 2000 Audi A6 2.7T report

there's about 60 photos not included, though, due to it being a pdf instead of the website link i can view

Quick Reply: Feedback - possibly buying C5 sight unseen