A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A follow up on "40V Intake manifold fix for stuck or sluggish flap pivots"

Old 05-19-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A follow up on "40V Intake manifold fix for stuck or sluggish flap pivots"

As posted earlier by silverd2 back in 2011, I would like to follow up on "40V Intake manifold fix for stuck or sluggish flap pivots". Regarding the upper or stage 3 pivot arm, my resolve was to remove the pivot arm and spring from the flapper shaft. Loosen the two torx cap screws of the pivot bushing housing. Re-install the pivot arm 180 degrees from the normal operating position. Using a 13/16 inch deep well socket and a socket extension, place the socket over the narrow "ball" end of the pivot arm. Gently try to rotate the pivot arm to somewhat free it up. Now here comes the trick I found. Once freed, spray Seafoam (TM) at the back of the pivot bushing housing. Continue to rotate the pivot arm back and fourth and continue to apply the spray as needed to work the Seafoam into the bushing. As it slowly frees up, using a small tip flat head screwdriver to gently pry the pivot bushing housing toward the front of the vehicle while rotating the pivot arm. This allows to accelerate the break up of the crud and allow the Seafoam to creep in further. This is a slow process and can take as much as a day (not a full day, 10 minutes here, 15 minutes there). Once the flapper valve starts to fall with gravity, you are done. Tighten the torx cap screws on the pivot bushing housing slowly while continuing to check the free falling flapper and rotate and spray as necessary. Apply a lubricating solution (do not use a silicon base substrate as this could have adverse affects) and button her up. As I am sure everyone knows that Seafoam is normally used to clean carbon build-up in other parts of the motor such as the intake valves, etc., It will also work into the bushing and dissolve the crud build-up and wash it away.

I hope this helps someone.

Regards.

- rev -