A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Foreign Object Under Right Valve Cover!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foreign Object Under Right Valve Cover!

So, I was getting a miss fire in my right bank (456). I did a compression check and got strange readings (low on 4 and 5). the misfire was really only at low rpms.

So, I pull my VC and find what looks like a plastic clip that locks a socket set box closed!! I checked all mine and found none missing... it looked pretty intact minus a 1/8 inch chunk off the corner of it.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions:

What damage could it have done, valve seat, cylinder?

I think I should pull the head and check inside the cylinders for any chunks, Concur?

What is the procedure for pulling the head (i have the service manual but find noting past the Valve cover) is it just un-doing the head bolts, pulling it, checking it, buying new head bolts and a gasket and re assembling it in reverse (any crazy things to watch out for, things to unplug, etc..)?

I have the cams out and all. I am all good down to the valve cover gaskets. I have not gone any deeper though, so any help would be appreciated.

On a side note, while I was pulling off my left camshaft pulley, I forgot to put my par back in and spun the cam on click to clockwise; valve spring tension pushed it over. Can I just rotate that back counter clock wise? I am going to change the gasket anyway and figure I can do it after I pull the cover... I am a dumb *** for taking the bar off!! lol!! More work for me!
Old 05-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

oooo Just found out what it is....the tip of this broke of... 2001 Audi A6 Camshaft Timing Chain Tensioner Shoe Pad...

all is clear!!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes,
These brake from time to time. Audi will charge you for an entire cam chain tensioner in order to get the foot. They don't sell it individually. $600-700 for the part.

Or you can go on ebay and there is a company that sells the feet for $60-80 for a pair. I just did this on my mom's car and they worked great. Take the old off, pop the old on and it's perfect.

I considered just running the car without fixing the issue, as the chain pressure may hold the part on, but I decided that it wasn't worth risking anything for less than $80 while I was in there....

Hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Found the shoe

Originally Posted by jseklund
Yes,
These brake from time to time. Audi will charge you for an entire cam chain tensioner in order to get the foot. They don't sell it individually. $600-700 for the part.

Or you can go on ebay and there is a company that sells the feet for $60-80 for a pair. I just did this on my mom's car and they worked great. Take the old off, pop the old on and it's perfect.

I considered just running the car without fixing the issue, as the chain pressure may hold the part on, but I decided that it wasn't worth risking anything for less than $80 while I was in there....

Hope this helps.

I found the shoes for $75, and a whole unit for around two hundred... apparently the market has changed a bit. When the shoes came out individually it drove down the price of the whole unit.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

oh I did not read your whole post.. yeah I am gong to fix it. Thanks!!