A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Found my annoying rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found my annoying rattle

Drivers lower inside brake pad had delaminated, but was sitting in perfect position with in the caliper. Popped the clamp off and opened the caliper up and it slid off to one side.

Sucky part is that the pads are pretty new with at least 8mm left on them and I'm doing all the brakes in the fall when I have the cash saved up. So now I get to take the mile and a half long hike to the auto parts store and back and pad slap the front for the summer. Glad they had a set in town. Didn't want to spend big money on a set right now.

I guess this is an advantage of the 4 pad calipers. Last time this happened to me was 25 years ago on a Plymouth in PA hill country. Trashed the rotor and dented the vacation fund. Killed me to have to pay money for something I could have easily done myself.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by highmiles
Drivers lower inside brake pad had delaminated, but was sitting in perfect position with in the caliper. Popped the clamp off and opened the caliper up and it slid off to one side.

Sucky part is that the pads are pretty new with at least 8mm left on them and I'm doing all the brakes in the fall when I have the cash saved up. So now I get to take the mile and a half long hike to the auto parts store and back and pad slap the front for the summer. Glad they had a set in town. Didn't want to spend big money on a set right now.

I guess this is an advantage of the 4 pad calipers. Last time this happened to me was 25 years ago on a Plymouth in PA hill country. Trashed the rotor and dented the vacation fund. Killed me to have to pay money for something I could have easily done myself.
Why? Just reposition the pad, put the clip back on and drive to the parts shop! You've driven on it for all this time!
Old 06-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Why? Just reposition the pad, put the clip back on and drive to the parts shop! You've driven on it for all this time!
Because it was already taken apart. Found 3 others in the process of delaminating as well. Cautionary tale of cheap brake pads.