AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   Front Bumper Cover / Air Dam - Repair or Replace? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/front-bumper-cover-air-dam-repair-replace-2859641/)

ctsmt07 01-12-2014 02:59 PM

Front Bumper Cover / Air Dam - Repair or Replace?

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 36304

Hey everyone,

Now that my timing issue has been resolved, this is the final outstanding item keeping my car from looking its best. I have two questions.

First, shouldn't there be some sort of a black air damn or strip between the front bumper cover and the belly pan, or am I mistaken?

Second, could a tear like what is pictured above (hooked it on rebar on a concrete parking block) be repaired, or should the cover be replaced? I ask this because when it flexed, it popped out the little grill cover on the passenger side. I picked up a replacement OEM grill piece, but need the bumper dealt with before sticking in back in there.

I just had her detailed, and she looks amazing, with the exception of the issue depicted above.

Thanks in advance for your input!

ctsmt07 01-12-2014 03:04 PM

Another pic of the bumper bottom

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 36305

Another pic of the bottom of the front bumper

ctsmt07 01-12-2014 03:06 PM

Why I want her perfect...

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 36306

The day after she came back from her timing belt ordeal, I had a full detail done. I think she looks really nice for a 10+ year old car. Only the front bumper left to deal with.

GTA_Driver 01-12-2014 03:25 PM

There are body shops that can repair that. You can also call around junk yards to get a quote for a used bumper cover. Try Shokan. However, a used cover may still need to be painted and likely has some scratches.

Best to get a quote from a very good (but possibly expensive) body shop.

ctsmt07 01-12-2014 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver (Post 24528737)
There are body shops that can repair that. You can also call around junk yards to get a quote for a used bumper cover. Try Shokan. However, a used cover may still need to be painted and likely has some scratches.

Best to get a quote from a very good (but possibly expensive) body shop.

Thanks for the input. Is it missing a piece between the bottom of the bumper and the belly pan? I could have sworn that there was a black strip, almost like a small air dam.

SloopJohnB@mac.com 01-12-2014 04:10 PM

Repair it. Remove it your own self and take it to a body shop and have them repair and repaint it.
That's what they'll do anyway and you need the experience of removing the bumper!

GTA_Driver 01-12-2014 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by ctsmt07 (Post 24528742)
Thanks for the input. Is it missing a piece between the bottom of the bumper and the belly pan? I could have sworn that there was a black strip, almost like a small air dam.

Nope, doesn't look like it's missing anything.

SloopJohnB@mac.com 01-12-2014 06:44 PM

2nd.