A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

H-sport installation costs (front+back) ~$190? Dual exhaust must be partly dropped, I'm told.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

H-sport installation costs (front+back) ~$190? Dual exhaust must be partly dropped, I'm told.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Pretty easy install if you have the tools and lift. Exhaust is just lowered from hangers.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default update: Just a half hour longer than LMGotts, same installer... found that it takes a bit longer...

Apparently. Its a good shop, so I trust them.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm... what about a 2-fer deal??
Old 12-04-2003, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

My dealer quote is $150. Its gonna happen 0900 Saturday.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm having a problem - I think due to their installation. Can't post right now...before sleep later.

Weird noises coming from rear suspension; details t/k.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crap. Sorry, LM. I remember your questions from the other night...

I have a couple of ideas for other installers, Stoney.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So here's my deal with the h-sport sway bar installation:

I glommed on to an allroad group buy (the first set of black bars made, IIRC - but mine are blue...I missed the deadline for black bars, but made the better price) mid-July and had the bars installed at DSR July 30th, having them installed on the softer setting. Everything was good. Then, some weeks later (I have awful time-line recall) I noticed a "clickity" sound coming from the left rear suspension. It almost sounds as if there's a stone <I>inside</I> the wheel - there's a noise that only occurs when I hit small, sharp road irregularities. Lane divider dots are enough to trigger it, and it's 100% reproducible at any time. Quite annoying, embarrassing even.

So, some weeks back (remember my timeline issue) I drove back to DSR to have them check on the sound and to adjust the bars to the firmer setting. They were, on both visits, not particularly friendly, and specifically not too communicative...anyway, they said nothing installed was incorrectly that they could see, and (my mistake) I left without making them drive it with me to hear the clearly noticeable sound. They didn't want to discuss/pursue the issue and rather offhandedly dismissed it to "other suspension issues". I can't say that they did anything wrong, but it appears likely to me that it's possible, and based on their trouble-shooting of the situation, I'll probably seek more local help if my dealer can't spot an easy fix. Bottom line is that I need to take the car back to Rector for the second reset of keyfob #2, and I'll have them check the noise for me. I don't really feel like driving the 50+ miles (one way) back to DSR again; I should've been more insistent when there last time. The noise hasn't worsened, but it's <I>always</I> there, and it's pretty loud when the windows are down.

At DSR the initial install was estimated at 1.5 hours and $125. It took a bit less than 1.5 hours and cost $127.50...I was happy with the cost, but it doesn't take longer than they estimate, slightly less actually. Sounds like profiteering to me...? The exhaust does have to be lowered slightly (it's not a difficult operation), as outlined in the PDF installation instruction file that's available at the h-sport site.

Second to last thing: go with the firm setting! It simply lessens the magnificent A6 understeer with no detriment to anything else...

Lastly: it's been raining hard here tonight. Driving home from Marin (to Oakland) through heavy rain with the stereo cranked in the A6 was truly a pleasure. Quite the best cocoon to have on a rainy night...I'm always amazed at how the car can power out of wet corners...quattro rules!
Old 12-05-2003, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

30K, and I will remove that clicking noise for you! :-).
Old 12-05-2003, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

it sounds like you have some binding or they didnt grease the bushings.

Quick Reply: H-sport installation costs (front+back) ~$190? Dual exhaust must be partly dropped, I'm told.