A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Half-shaft / drive-axle for A6

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Half-shaft / drive-axle for A6

My 2004 A6 Sedan with 42,000 miles has the original drive-shaft boots and they're starting to crack.

Went to the local Audi stealer, I mean dealer (sorry, won't name it, but they're one of the dealers in north Texas). For replacing JUST the left & right outer CV boots, they want "only" $1,535.44 (which includes about $120 in "shop supplies", $120 for each boot and labor at $572.88 for each side). That's insane! When I asked how much to replace both left & right half-shaft assemblies, it's an even more insane $2,603.99 !

My other choice would be to find a private shop, but then wouldn't know what brand of part they'd give me. Checking in at Rock Auto, there's "TrakMotive" newly manufactured half-shafts, at about $60 each. Plus whatever the labor would be from a local shop. Does anyone here have any idea as to the quality of TrakMotive axles? They do appear to be made in China ...

What should be the amount of labor time required per side?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I mean, no way am I going to have this particular Audi dealer do this...
Old 01-21-2019, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my front ones (01 A6 Quattro) a few years ago myself with just the basic tools. The only specialty tool needed is a 12 point (three square) bit to remove the inner axle (looks like a Torx, but it's not)!. Took me just a couple of hours to do both sides. Mine were Cardone ordered online. Less than $200 bucks for both with boots already installed. I don't remember if they wanted my old ones in return...I don't think so, though. But any indy shop should be way cheaper than what you said the dealer wanted. I bought the "split style" boots, but heard too many bad stories...so decided to do it right. I still have the split boots for road emergencies.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

For parts, check ECS Tuning; AutoHaus AZ.com, and other online parts suppliers. To the best of my recollection the outer CV boot kit is less than $50 (kit includes all parts like snap rings and even grease for refilling the CV boot/joint as well as a new axle bolt). About 45 minutes to an hour per side for labor. If you Google the job you will find a few video links to YouTube showing how it's done. If the only issue is the boots are cracking, you shouldn't need to replace the half-shaft. Not much needed in the way of special tools. You can purchase rebuilt complete axle assemblies ready to go for around $100 and up. The $2600 quote is AT LEAST $2200 too high. Can't speak to TrakMotive. My personal preference is products from AutoHaus AZ. They have after market brands and usually OEM brand parts, top notch customer service, good deals on shipping, and quick delivery. They are based in the Phoenix area, so not far from your location. If you know what you need you can order online or just call their toll free number.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

I have had very good luck with the Febest outer CV joints (the ones that usually are the problem) that can be found on Amazon (search for 4D0498099 ). While it takes a couple of days for delivery, the quality is perfect, and all the necessary parts are included for about $45. Remove the axle, place in a bench vise, remove the joint (use the large bolt as a pressing tool), clean up the grease, remove the boot, clean up the grease, install the boot, install grease, use a brass hammer to seat the joint, reinstall the axle. Sure, it take about an hour, (and a couple of pairs of nitrile gloves and paper towels) but you know that the job was done right.