A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Having tie rod ends replaced-- which part should I choose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having tie rod ends replaced-- which part should I choose?

I'm having the tie rod ends replaced in my 2000 4.2 next week (rubbery sound), and I'm trying to decide which part to order. I've searched the forum, and I have two questions.

1) There is apparently both an open and closed tie rod end design. Which is better? I am kind of hard on my car (fairly aggressive driving) and definitely want the sturdier of the two.

2) Is there a specific brand people like? Napa doesn't even tell you what kind of part it is, so I am very hesitant to order theirs. Plus, it's like $92, and that is waaay too expensive, based on the pricing I've found online. I have had good experience with autohausaz.com, so I'd like to stay with them if possible. They carry two tie rod ends-- a Meyle/Karlyn and a Lemfoerder. They don't look exactly the same. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Any advice on the process would be helpful. My indy shop will be doing the work (they work on all my cars, from my Volvo to Ford lol) and I am a control freak and like to know everything about what we're doing. They don't primarily work on Audi vehicles, other than mine and two others, so any special info would be helpful.

Thank you all! And wow, this forum is awesome.

P.S. And also, for the record, I am a woman (with a 4.2) and wouldn't so much as look at any of the cars on that top ten list of women's cars in the thread way down. Ick. Subaru??!
Old 06-09-2005, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would go with the heavy duty, all metal tie rods

See ECS tuning.

The VAG tie rods have a rubber isolater to smooth the steering feel by removing vibration. The heavy duty all metal tie rods will transmit everything and remove the rubber isolators which wear and force you to replace them.<ul><li><a href="http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Audi&amp;engine=4.2&amp;mode l=C5%20A6&amp;submodel=Quattro&amp;category=Suspen sion">http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Audi&amp;engine=4.2&amp;mode l=C5%
Old 06-09-2005, 09:13 AM

How much vibration are we talking? Is it noticable?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:15 AM

Looking at part ES#2815. Is that what you would recommend?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:23 AM

Default What he said...

I just replaced my OEM's w/these. Nice design, very tight.<ul><li><a href="http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi/?partnumber=4BO419811EMY%20set&amp;html=learnmore. html">ECS Tuning</a></li></ul>
Old 06-09-2005, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If it were me, that's what I would be doing

Call ECS and ask them about the vibration/feel issue.

If it makes you feel any better, the C6 went with solid tie rods, so I would think that Audi recognizes the weakness.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:25 AM

What kind of vibration difference do you feel?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I suggest ECS tunings parts. They appear to be good.

I replaced the tie rod ends and other links top and bottom with ECS parts on my wifes Passat and I have no complaints. The price was right and the quality is there. Its been two years and they still are fine.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Well, that's good to know...

You're right, it does make me feel better. I definitely want something more durable, because to be honest, I drive like a bat out of hell. It's fun. I do think a bunch of suspension upgrades are in the works, though. :-Þ
Old 06-09-2005, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Emma, sent you an email!

Quick Reply: Having tie rod ends replaced-- which part should I choose?