A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

C5 A6 2.7T w/ 170K Miles...To Rebuild or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C5 A6 2.7T w/ 170K Miles...To Rebuild or Not?

Engine & Trans out of car for turbos, mounts, clutch, rear main seal, & trans seals. I'm wondering if now is the time to dig in deeper & replace rings, crank & rod bearings, & valve seals? Last compression test we did showed good levels on all cylinders, so it's not a necessity, although lots of miles on car.
Complete TB & waterpump changed at 140k, so will likely leave that be for now, as that seems an easy job compared to the engine pull.

Not upgrading anything just staying stock. This is not my toy, but is my son's daily driver, so I just want to keep it reliably running.

So any comments on if I should be going after engine internals at this time?
Old 05-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

To me it would make sense, since you are already 1/2 way there. The added expense and little bit of labor will theoretically extend the life of the car another 100k or more, and since you're already doing a lot of good work, why not?
Old 05-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Disagree. When was the last time you heard of one of these engines needing a rebuild because of worn rings? These blocks don't seem to wear at all. Ever.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

FWIW, the blocks are stout, the rings perhaps less so....they do wear. But I can agree, if compression is ok and oil consumption ok, there's no reason to remove the heads.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:00 AM
Head Cat Herder

I was thinking more of the bottom end bearings.. and possibly the valves..
Old 05-11-2014, 05:03 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

On the bottom end, I've never been in there to look, so I guess I really can't argue there...although I don't know of anyone who has had a bearing failure either.

On the valves, I've never seen one worn out...although I've seen plenty of bent ones.

IMHO, no one puts these engine together as well as the factory.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Head Cat Herder

True dat. I guess I'm just feeling bummed that I've abandoned my 2.8
Old 05-11-2014, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. In my searching thru multiple forums I come across issues of bent valves due to timing belt breakage, but not much in way of wearout/ breakage of rings & bearings. I'm leaning to the philosophy "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, I'm well practiced at putting car into service position to do timing, because the PO switched cam tensioners L-R to R-L, & it took us some time to figure that out. Anyway, I've done 3 rebuilds on other vehicles over the last 35 years when they needed it, so I don't claim to be ultra experienced. In this case I really don't have any evidence that rebuild was really necessary, short of mileage on the car/engine. So feedback on lower end longevity was what I was looking for. Thanks.
PS: I'm surprised nobody pinged me on the turbo replacement. We had oil seepage into airstream on ours, & since clutch was worn, it's obviously good time to do turbos too. Basically this meant to me that the journal bearing was worn & leaking. I chose to go the cheap route & just rebuild the K03. Marked turbine & impellers for alignment before disassembly, so they go together with same balance. I've seen lots of discussion on the K04 upgrade, but didn't feel like shelling out the extra $ for repairs to my son's car. Now if this were my toy, then it'd probably be a different story.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What'd you spend to overhaul the turbos? After reading the thread I was actually wondering why you were choosing to replace them.. Were they noisy at all or not there yet?
Old 05-11-2014, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

?? on disassembling turbine and compressor on turbo? Usually you just get a cartridge that already has a new shaft, bushing, etc. Are you just replacing the bushing in the center?

The other problem with new turbos is the turbo oil feed line that is often partially clogged with coked oil…when you move it or flex it the coked stuff breaks loose, often into the oil feed with the new turbo! No oil=blown new turbos shortly. I've used brass rifle or shotgun brushes to clean them out...

Quick Reply: C5 A6 2.7T w/ 170K Miles...To Rebuild or Not?