A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Idle down.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle down.

So I like to let my car warm up before a drive especially in this colder weather. And after a long drive I like to let it idle Down as well. But some times I don't want to sit around and wait. So I know auto starts are amazing to warm it up but is there also some way that I can make it so that I am able to get out lock up the car and walk away and the car will idle for a set amount of time (Say 60seconds) and then shutdown? Basically the opposite of an auto start.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_timer

Probably isn't needed unless you fly home like a bat out of hell and then run inside... But, there's your answer.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pyrobionic
...is there also some way that I can make it so that I am able to get out lock up the car and walk away and the car will idle for a set amount of time (Say 60seconds) and then shutdown?...
I am pretty sure there are some timers you could buy specifically for this. If not, it is not difficult. You just need to look up "555 timer circuit with relay" -basically a one-shot timer. You'd enable by pushing a momentary switch and relay energizes shorting/bypassing the ignition switch to keep the car running. Then, you'd just take the key out, get out and lock the car as usual.

However, there are few things to consider.
a) you'd have to dig in to wiring and provide power for circuit and tap into ignition switch wires.
b) you'd need a disable switch for timer as well (what if you want to go before timer expires?
c) I never tested it but immobilizer may or may not kick in. I think the codes from the key are read only during starting procedure and not all the time or at some intervals (could be wrong).
c) I think you can lock the car but you may not be able to "arm" the security. Unless, after car shuts off, after sometime the alarm automatically does that... I've observed this sort of locking/arming behavior when sitting/waiting in the car once or twice without the key in ignition but never examined the actual operation/logic... (I just make sure to keep the key with me when I get out -due to fear of being locked out).
Old 01-12-2014, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pyrobionic
So I like to let my car warm up before a drive especially in this colder weather. And after a long drive I like to let it idle Down as well. But some times I don't want to sit around and wait. So I know auto starts are amazing to warm it up but is there also some way that I can make it so that I am able to get out lock up the car and walk away and the car will idle for a set amount of time (Say 60seconds) and then shutdown? Basically the opposite of an auto start.
Completely unnecessary. Warm up the car when it's cold, sure, but to idle before shutdown is just a waste.

The only time it's needed is if you were seriously pushing the car hard just before shutting down. I doubt that will happen frequently if at all.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah my car automatically locks after about 30-45 seconds after I get out. It has locked my friends In. And I've seen trucks that do this so that's why I'm wondering if they have a chip or something or if its a feature in newer vehicles.