A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Help meee!! Crankshaft problem

Old 02-12-2018, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help meee!! Crankshaft problem

Ok.. I have bought a6 c5 4.2v8 quattro 220kw about a half a year ago...

problems started when i went to the local shop to do complet maintence, taiming belt etc and instaling a gas system completly new.. when it was all done car was running great for one week then one cam chain tensioner fall a part becouse one link one chain got lose and shop said it was not their fault..soo i went and buy new one in oem shop here in croatia and they have instaled it and delivered runing car with back to me and again in a maybe two weeks car was showing check engine lamp and i went in oem shop to establish problem, they said that timing belt was not done proper but they will not fix it becouse it was not their mess...soo i went back to local shop to with evidence of bas work wich they completly denied and refused to cover

i was mad and found a better shop wich fixed timing belt and also another one cam chain tensioner couse he sufferd also in meanwhile.... after that done they promised to me that car is now perfectly good.

and for one month it was all good lets say..and just one day it started grinding(that was few days ago) i stoped car called the shop and now they have established that the new chain is bad or the material in crankshaft is too bad soo that is a reason why it broke..you can see in picture there is no more pitch to hold on to ti..
And that cam chain tensioner on side where is cranksahft damged was bought fron poland for much less money but it was also with oem logo on it..

soo i can belive anymore that this **** happens just becouse it happens and it is nobody fault..

please some advice what to do and whos fault is this

and im very sorry for bad english, grettings from Croatia
Attached Thumbnails Help meee!! Crankshaft problem-20180212_140121.jpg  
Old 02-12-2018, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I found the word

Sprocket is dameged badly...soo is that a shops fault?
Old 02-12-2018, 04:41 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

I have never seen that happen on any Audi ever. Wow.
I don't think you can blame the shop.
Try to buy a used head and take the cams and chain from it.
Bummer.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I have never seen that happen on any Audi ever. Wow.
I don't think you can blame the shop.
Try to buy a used head and take the cams and chain from it.
Bummer.
just this I cant understand...my mechanic says it is mostly problem in the chain soo i just think he should have check it before instaling...
am i wrong if i say that they had to see that..

and can i just put a new sprocket or i really have to get new crankshaft, tensioner and chain?

i just cant ubderstand how all od this can happen just like that
Old 02-13-2018, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

It does appear in your photo that the sprocket is badly worn. When you had the timing belt done the shop probably only did what you asked and didn't look at the chain or sprocket. With the mileage you report the tensioner pads were probably well over due for replacement. I agree with 4Driver4, see if you can find cylinder heads in salvage yard and get replacement cam, sprocket and chain. Then get new tensioner pads. Many parts vendors are selling poorly made Chinese made parts and they often have the Audi logo stamped on them. Ask around and find a reputable parts source.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it might be better to put a new (used) head on that side. I have a hunch that there may be some bent valves lurking under the cam lobes. While the "A" student might replace any dinged pistons, I would just replace the head and drive the car, warts and all.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
It does appear in your photo that the sprocket is badly worn. When you had the timing belt done the shop probably only did what you asked and didn't look at the chain or sprocket. With the mileage you report the tensioner pads were probably well over due for replacement. I agree with 4Driver4, see if you can find cylinder heads in salvage yard and get replacement cam, sprocket and chain. Then get new tensioner pads. Many parts vendors are selling poorly made Chinese made parts and they often have the Audi logo stamped on them. Ask around and find a reputable parts source.
ok i understand what are you saying...but on that last timing belt job wich was a mounth ago, in that shop they replaced tensioner and pads and chain at same time... i understand there can be fake audi logo on market but this one was for sure good becouse my friend in poland have recomended it to me ( he buyed one and instaled soo far soo god 30k miles)
Old 02-13-2018, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by johnkk
I think it might be better to put a new (used) head on that side. I have a hunch that there may be some bent valves lurking under the cam lobes. While the "A" student might replace any dinged pistons, I would just replace the head and drive the car, warts and all.
I think ill go with that..probably best and easy option
Old 02-13-2018, 04:19 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by johnkk
I think it might be better to put a new (used) head on that side.
Agreed.