A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Help! my transmission on my A6 is working funky!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! my transmission on my A6 is working funky!

Hi guys

I have an 03 A6 3.0; and recently the transmission started to act weird:

When the car is cold, it works fine, but when i go uphill, or when i am a lot of time in traffic and the temperature get high, the car jumps while switching gears.

It does it in automatic or in manual mode;and in one occasion i had the display where the gears are shown, blinking, and totally lost traction (was accelerating but the car ain't moving); so i stopped my car and waited for 5 min, then it started to work again, but still jumping at every gear shift (even worst at the road light..people were thinking that i was learning how to drive a stick shift lol).

then after keeping the car idle for 2 days, i started it again, and was working just fine.

The dealer said that after checking the transmission fluid, he has to replace the transmission (trans fluid sommelier? without even taking apart the car?); and i think that is really BS, since my car has less than 75K.

Did everyone experienced this issue? any suggestion? the diagnostic computer shows nothing....and i do not really want to get a new transmission for 8 grand when maybe the issue is easily fixed (hope so).

I am in south bay area (CA); if someone knows also a good guy that fix Audi I would really appreciate (i go to Autowerkstat, they are great but always busy, sometimes for months, so i need an alternative that is reliable like that shop, and also affordable, in case i can't get an appointment at my mechanic)

Thanks a lot! hope that somebody have a clue about my issue
Old 08-21-2008, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help! my transmission on my A6 is working funky!

is your audi a front wheel drive with CV trans?
Old 08-21-2008, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Checking the fluid will tell him if it's burned, so that's a fair way to assess it. My understandin

from others, is that the CVT in the A6 has been problematic. Call ZF, and they will tell you the closest authorized service center to you. I wouldn't trust it to anyone else. Must be the month for trans issues. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:53 PM

I think so...is not the Quattro or the 2.8 turbo; and the transmission should be the CVT type with a tiptronic.

I get that the fluid can show if is burned or not, but it can be burn for many reasons....is not the first time that you burn a clutch or a gear; so my point is; do i need to get the entire transmission because of an unidentified problem?

He said that the fluid was burned, but still do not know the reason since the diagnostic does not report any failure, nor the mechanic opened the transmission to see what is wrong
Old 08-21-2008, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

from what i have read, the clutch pack fails. this is not a cheap problem.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:49 PM

i would expect so radhaz....i was aware of the high costs for Audi repairs, but i was not expecting 8K

Do you think that a good mechanic can repair it without changing the entire transmission?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

well, don't panic yet. read this thread:
http://www.audi-forums.com/c5-forum/35159-2003-a6-cvt-problems-multi-tronic.html

for what it's worth, my tip tans on my c5 quattro has never been quite right. it behaves strangely. but i still haven't had it fail.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:00 PM

Thanks a lot for the link!

So, from what i read (is an european thread, so the engine size are smaller than ours in US), seems that the problem is the CVT itself? so why we do not have a single report or claim against these issues? here in US we sue even the milkman if he change the label on the bottle, and for stuff like that, with high cost for repair (8K...are they crazy?), nobody does anything?

I am shocked to see that is a common problem, and from the symptoms looks like a fault design on the PRE-05 A4 and A6 with CVT.

So what would you suggest? start with the fluid flush and filter change, then change the clutch from a 5 to a 7 and in the worst case replace the transmission?
Old 08-22-2008, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mine is a different trans than yours, (4.2 with tip, MY2000), but a flush is out of the question and

not supported by Audi. Check this link also, even though it doesn't specifically apply to your trans.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/804982.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/804982.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 08-22-2008, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey you guys - did you know you can change the "Subject" line so that

it is easier to read the responses and follow the thread?

Quick Reply: Help! my transmission on my A6 is working funky!