AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   HID Kit for audi a6 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/hid-kit-audi-a6-2830992/)

Ethan Curtis 08-01-2012 05:22 PM

HID Kit for audi a6

i have a 2000 audi a6 2.8L

I want to put HIDs on my audi with stock halogen headlights does anybody recommend any HIDs and would there be any problems if i do get them?

2.7Lturbo 08-01-2012 08:35 PM

buy OEM HID lights or leave it stock, HID kits are ILLEGAL

Danomatic93 08-02-2012 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo (Post 24330384)
buy OEM HID lights or leave it stock, HID kits are ILLEGAL

Even retrofitting OEM HIDs is technically illegal as they are not the original equipment for your particular vehicle.

GTA_Driver 08-02-2012 05:28 PM

Lots of thing are illegal, some shouldn't be (making a photocopy of a page from a book may be illegal in your state).

In any case, do your homework. Google first, then search the site. You will find enough info to make an informative decision.

Just please aim them correctly. And make sure they are projectile headlights. You'll be fine.

2.7Lturbo 08-02-2012 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver (Post 24330771)
Lots of thing are illegal, some shouldn't be (making a photocopy of a page from a book may be illegal in your state).

In any case, do your homework. Google first, then search the site. You will find enough info to make an informative decision.

Just please aim them correctly. And make sure they are projectile headlights. You'll be fine.

putting the incorrect lights into a car SHOULD be and IS illegal for a reason; it is dangerous to other drivers.

after working in the lighting industry for several years and becoming an expert in photo-metrics and optical design i can honestly say that no installer or kit can satisfy the DOT requirements for street legal headlights.

aim them all you want, but i ASSURE you that the light coming out of it is not within the DOT photopic/scotopic spectrum. this also goes for all the "blue" and "purple"lights out there, also very dangerous to other drivers as the high spikes in the 400nm spectrum range cause glare as well as retinal damage with prolonged or repeat exposure leading to macular degeneration.

GTA_Driver 08-03-2012 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo (Post 24330830)
putting the incorrect lights into a car SHOULD be and IS illegal for a reason; it is dangerous to other drivers.

after working in the lighting industry for several years and becoming an expert in photo-metrics and optical design i can honestly say that no installer or kit can satisfy the DOT requirements for street legal headlights.

aim them all you want, but i ASSURE you that the light coming out of it is not within the DOT photopic/scotopic spectrum. this also goes for all the "blue" and "purple"lights out there, also very dangerous to other drivers as the high spikes in the 400nm spectrum range cause glare as well as retinal damage with prolonged or repeat exposure leading to macular degeneration.

Use 4300K D2S bulbs with aftermarket projector lenses.

Done correctly will be a non-issue.

Danomatic93 08-03-2012 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo (Post 24330830)
putt...also very dangerous to other drivers as the high spikes in the 400nm spectrum range cause glare as well as retinal damage with prolonged or repeat exposure leading to macular degeneration.

Very true... ...but to the person that stares directly at headlights long enough for that to take effect deserves a Darwin award. If only the DOT could block out the sun too, thus saving us from its harmful bandwidth of light. :)

2.7Lturbo 08-03-2012 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Danomatic93 (Post 24330925)
Very true... ...but to the person that stares directly at headlights long enough for that to take effect deserves a Darwin award. If only the DOT could block out the sun too, thus saving us from its harmful bandwidth of light. :)

the sun is very dangerous to your eyes, life long exposure results in macular degeneration, luckily we have a slight biological protection in that our lens yellow with age.

as far as staring into headlights... sometimes you cant help it when the A-hole is in a lifted truck with his high beams on.

2.7Lturbo 08-03-2012 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver (Post 24330878)
Use 4300K D2S bulbs with aftermarket projector lenses.

Done correctly will be a non-issue.

Sage advice...

still, nothing aftermarket will ever meet DOT/TUV requirements

Prospeeder 08-03-2012 05:19 PM

dont do it. The stupid hid kits dont come with actual readily available bulbs to replace them. gets annoying as hell all the cheesy HID kits i end up ripping out of cars because a bulb burned out.