A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Hit it or quit it? 04 Audi A6 Avant 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit it or quit it? 04 Audi A6 Avant 3.0

Im reading so many mixed things about this model.

Lots of reliable reviews from more generic sources - but lots of seemingly bad reviews from individuals on forums -- is it just the CVT version? or is the Avant with the tiptronic bad too?

I'm looking at a 04 Avant with 129k on it. All the major work has been done fairly recently (with records).

Seems like the guy who owned it wasnt a real mechanical guy and just did whatever the mechanic suggested. He's put 10k into repairs on it in the 5.5 years he's owned it. Im hoping now taht all the major work is done -- I will be good for awhile. Whats the word on reliability for this model?

This is what he has records for:

Timing Belt @ 100,000 miles
Water Pump @ 100,000 miles
Transmission @ 110,000 miles (was not rebuilt or new) They pulled the Tranny out of a A6 with 35k on it
Engine Block @ 115,000 miles (had a crack)

Seems like he's just trying to cut losses at this point.

He's allowing me to drive the car the my mechanic to get it fully pre inspected. Is it even worth it>?

P.S> Ive heard the 01s and 02s were better is this true?
Old 10-27-2013, 12:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey there,

I run a 2003 2.7T A6 Sedan but looked into picking up a 3.0L A4 Avant (same power plant as the 3.0 A6 Avant) and found owner's experiences favorable to the older 2.8L. All things considered, In terms of reliability I feel it's the ideal option assuming it's been properly maintained. Among a handful of other changes, post-2001 A6's have improved sound insulation with thicker window glass, require less expensive brake pads and the 3.0L has more power with a slight increase in fuel economy.

How much is the seller asking? I wouldn't spend more than about $8000. Maybe 8500 if it passes the pre-purchase inspection with flying colors.

At 130k miles it isn't uncommon to be looking at:
  • Control arms (causes sloppy steering, handling, noise, poor alignment & tire wear): ~ $500 parts + 3 hours labor
  • Wheel Bearings: ~ $100ea. + 1 hour labor
  • Secondary Air Injection Pump (causes an embarrassing high pitch "jet-turbine" whining noise): ~ $300 + 2 hours labor
  • Rear Electric Window Regulators or Motors (a common VW/Audi issue. Windows malfunction, stuck open or closed): ~ $200ea. + labor
  • Front Brake Rotors, Pads, Lines: ~ $350 + 2 hours labor
  • Flush Coolant: ~ $60 + labor
  • Engine Mounts (which can cause vibration at idle): ~ $150 + labor
  • Sway Bar End Links (which can cause creaking noises in suspension on speed bumps or driveways) ~ $100 + labor
  • Struts & Shocks ~ $500 + 3 hours labor
  • Coil Packs (can cause engine mis-fires): ~ 150+

I recommend holding a $1k - $2k reserve for unexpected maintenance and repairs that your mechanic didn't catch or anticipate during the pre-purchase inspection. Don't forget condition and replacement cost of tires. Good quality 235 section rubber isn't cheap. These are heavy cars, don't skimp on tires. At least $600 for decent 17 inch All-Seasons, little less if the car you're looking at has 16's.

For reference, I purchased my 2003 A6 2.7T Tiptronic Sedan with 96k miles, and within 25k I had to replace a power steering pump - $900 with labor, Coolant Temp Sensor - $300 including $150 in diagnostics, I'm about to replace a cracked and leaking coolant expansion tank, front brakes, bearings, oil temp sensor, ignition control module, and there's a half dozen other error codes to deal with.

As dramatic and sensitive as these cars can be, they are a absolutely deluxe. At current market values, I'd say it's worth picking one up as long as you are mentally and financially prepared to do what it takes to keep it on the road. Im going to D.I.Y. route for now on whenever possible.

Tiptronic? Well it's certainly one of this car's weak spots, though mine has 122k miles on it and I expect to see another 25k before I have any issues.

In conclusion my advice is to skip the 3.0 entirely and go for a well cared for a 6 speed Allroad with less than 100k miles for around $10k with a decent aftermarket warranty thrown in the deal to cover the turbos, and enjoy.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:38 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

3.0 is a skip.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Sadjatumwadee
Im reading so many mixed things about this model.

Lots of reliable reviews from more generic sources - but lots of seemingly bad reviews from individuals on forums -- is it just the CVT version? or is the Avant with the tiptronic bad too?

I'm looking at a 04 Avant with 129k on it. All the major work has been done fairly recently (with records).

Seems like the guy who owned it wasnt a real mechanical guy and just did whatever the mechanic suggested. He's put 10k into repairs on it in the 5.5 years he's owned it. Im hoping now taht all the major work is done -- I will be good for awhile. Whats the word on reliability for this model?

This is what he has records for:

Timing Belt @ 100,000 miles
Water Pump @ 100,000 miles
Transmission @ 110,000 miles (was not rebuilt or new) They pulled the Tranny out of a A6 with 35k on it
Engine Block @ 115,000 miles (had a crack)

Seems like he's just trying to cut losses at this point.

He's allowing me to drive the car the my mechanic to get it fully pre inspected. Is it even worth it>?

P.S> Ive heard the 01s and 02s were better is this true?
Depends on price. It's a schizoid with 129K on it. Other than brakes, tires, cvj boots and shocks, upper control arms, possible rack or p/s pump and the odd switch, any major component failure turns it into a parts car. It's worth maybe $2K and he ought to be glad he's getting that for his problem child..
Old 10-27-2013, 05:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

3.0 is replacement for base 2.8. Red coilpacks are full of gremlins. Torque converter failure common on automatic 2.7 and 3.0. Try finding a stick. Or upgrade to the 4.2. My 96 2.8 quattro at325687 still running strong, 00 FWD 2.8 189574, and my 02 4.2 quattro 216899. Just changed original crank sensor. It really doesnt matter which audi you purchase as Long as Youre willing and able to repair them theyll last as Long as you want them to. All cars have issues no matter the maker.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleScar
...All cars have issues no matter the maker...
Agreed. Some more than the others. Maker and make/model/year makes a difference IMO. A badly engineered car is going to have more repairs than others. Some revised versions of same make/model but later year maybe more reliable.. For example take bumper issue on 2000, 2001 etc. a6; it is always catching the cement stops in parking spots. Later years they fixed this by redesigning the bumper itself. I pulled mine and cut the lip out completely with Dremel.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys - lots of good advice - though no definitive answer lol.

He is asking just a little over 4000 for the car.

Its not a bad price at all. I can afford to put some money into it -- but wife will not be happy if it becomes a money trap. lol.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by tester123
For example take bumper issue on 2000, 2001 etc. a6; it is always catching the cement stops in parking spots.
IMHO, this is not a design issue; it's an operator issue.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by UncleScar
3.0 is replacement for base 2.8. Red coilpacks are full of gremlins.
Keep in mind that while the 3.0 is a "replacement", it is a completely different engine. The variable cam timing is vastly more complex, and, unlike the bulletproof 2.8, there have been plenty of cam issues with the 3.0.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Get the vehicle, as i stated earlier all cars have issues. 3.0 a good enough start If youve never owned a vdub/audi. 4gs isnt a bad deal If all maintenance has been performed. Just have a little put away for just in case.

Quick Reply: Hit it or quit it? 04 Audi A6 Avant 3.0