A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Hood Latch Sensor?

Old 08-03-2013, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Latch Sensor?

Car Info: 2000 Audi A6 2.7t Quattro

This is my wifes car, so this is all second hand. She had said there was a rattling noise and that it stopped after a loud clunk. I open the hood and find that the radiator fan had sliced through one of the wires that are zip tied just above it. I also found this little guy and the other end of the wires all chewed up.

Name:  IMG_20130803_190429_528.jpg
Views: 8442
Size:  68.5 KB

It appears to be the hood latch sensor as it looks like something was quite possibly ripped from that area.

Now further issue is that it does not show an indicator or issue with the hood being open. Assuming that the sensor is missing, should it not indicate something like that?

Also, when driving the car temp gauge says it warms up fine (from my wife here on) And then after a few miles she says the temp drops all the way to "C" (cool) at highway speeds after just a couple miles.

So my question is... IS that the hood latch sensor? If so, whats the part number or if you have a link to where i can order it that would be fantastic.

Is the cooling issue due to the sensor, (or as i think) or is it possibly another separate issue?

We did just have the Timing belt, water pump stuff done... also replaced the power steering rack (and my wallet thanks you for the sympathy).
Old 08-03-2013, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The numbers you cant really read are on the left side and that says PBT-GF10 (maybe a k after the 10?) and the lowest one starts with ZS8. I wouldnt know which number is the part number or if any of them are.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ReaperAudi2.7t

This is my wifes car, so this is all second hand. She had said there was a rattling noise and that it stopped after a loud clunk. I open the hood and find that the radiator fan had sliced through one of the wires that are zip tied just above it. I also found this little guy and the other end of the wires all chewed up.

It appears to be the hood latch sensor as it looks like something was quite possibly ripped from that area.

Now further issue is that it does not show an indicator or issue with the hood being open. Assuming that the sensor is missing, should it not indicate something like that?

Also, when driving the car temp gauge says it warms up fine (from my wife here on) And then after a few miles she says the temp drops all the way to "C" (cool) at highway speeds after just a couple miles.

So my question is... IS that the hood latch sensor? If so, whats the part number or if you have a link to where i can order it that would be fantastic.

Is the cooling issue due to the sensor, (or as i think) or is it possibly another separate issue?

We did just have the Timing belt, water pump stuff done... also replaced the power steering rack (and my wallet thanks you for the sympathy).

Edit: Apparently there is a latch sensor? news to me. Never saw any warnings about driving with the latch open.

I will check my hood this morning.

Second, there is something wrong with your temperature sensor. Time to replace it. While a stuck open thermostat can drop the temperature at highway driving a few degrees, it will never go down to cold.

Last edited by GTA_Driver; 08-04-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ill get a good pic of the latch. I think its part of that because it looks like something broke off of it and this was found in the area under the latch. The wires are brown and a white w/ red stripe.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Some other views of the piece

Name:  IMG_20130803_230040_407.jpg
Views: 4116
Size:  91.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20130803_230105_112.jpg
Views: 4318
Size:  83.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20130803_230122_446.jpg
Views: 3412
Size:  72.5 KB
Old 08-03-2013, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
There is no latch sensor. And I don't know what that is.

Second, there is something wrong with your temperature sensor. Time to replace it. While a stuck open thermostat can drop the temperature at highway driving a few degrees, it will never go down to cold.
Which temp sensor? the ambient temp sensor? if so where are those? Maybe this is one of them?
Old 08-04-2013, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
There is no latch sensor. And I don't know what that is.
Mine has a hood latch sensor....
Old 08-04-2013, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Googling that part number just comes up with a part that is a connector. Take the part out of the connector and see if it has another part number?

Seems that part also works with a 1.8T MAP-controlled thermostat??

Basically it's your two-conductor sealed female connector...used on many items. You need to find what the connector was hooked up to!!

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 08-04-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Some other views of the piece

On the bottom pic, if you use a small knife or screwdriver to pick up the latch/tab on the connector, the piece that is stuck in the connector can be pried out. Look for a matching sensor that is missing a connector near where your fan or whatever hit the connector is.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yep, its the hood latch sensor. Getting the whole assembly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood Latch Sensor?