A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 09-06-2016, 01:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to clean out the evaporator drain valve.....

Old 05-29-2010, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Audi A6 Passenger Floor Water Leak, Suspected Evaporator Drainage Duct Defect

Have had water 'ingress' in my 2000 A6 2.8L on passenger side front and rear for some time. As have seen others post, one usually troubleshoots in the following order of suspected causes:

(1) sunroof drainage ports (of which there are four) and
(2) drainage ports under the battery that can get clogged with debris.
(3) Next, I paid Audi dealer to investigate and they had wrongly suggested in was windshield cowel allowing water in at the bottom of windshield (this is unlikely as windshield seal was good, but had the windshield replaced under warranty just to be sure).
(4) Next theory was water entering windshield cowel through the cabin air filter "plenum" under hood on passenger side, however filter was dry after water hose test and showed no signs of ever getting wet.
(5) Which led me to the original post how to evacuate the ac drainage valve. I followed pictures and ruled out AC drainage valve as water test drained right through (on top of exhaust pipe (questionable design location btw) then to ground.
(6) Finally, I was able to completely remove the ac drainage duct itself (counter to original post suggesting this was not possible) and discovered that this ac drainage duct had a fused/closed end and I doubt it ever let water through!

The fix: I subsequently jacked the rear driver side of the car up so water would collect in front passenger well (rear passenger floor is connected to front via a subfloor under air duct), then removed the passenger seat, pulled carpet up and 'squeezed' out foam padding to release as much water as I could. I turkey basted out all excess water from front passenger floor and am running a dehumidifier with all doors shut in an effort to dry out the rug and padding.

Conclusion: I think water can get in via any combination of the above mechanisms, however it is the fused end of the drainage duct that leads me to believe this is the primary reason for so much water entering the passenger side flooring in my 2000 Audi A6.

Anyone else observe similar?

See pictures attached:

- drainage duct with a fused end (small opening on end does not go all the way through),
- water test of duct = no water getting out
- a 'home fix' of a sawed off end to same piece now with an adequate size hole in it and
- water evidence in front and rear passenger areas.

================================================== ==

Class Action Settlement: I recently received a notice of class action settlement stating: "Plaintiffs allege that Settlement Class Vehicles were susceptible to water ingress into the passenger compartment through sunroof drains and/or the fresh air plenum, and as a result, the Class Vehicles were damaged or were at risk of sustaining damages".

More info at https://wateringresssettlement.com/

Plan to followup with the settlement folks about the drainage duct.
Attached Images      
Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

shimshocka how did you get this drainage duct thing on pictures out ?

I have similar problem with my audi, only diference is that I have filed hole at the top. So I have to get this thing out that Ill be able to clean it.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by alessy
shimshocka how did you get this drainage duct thing on pictures out ?

I have similar problem with my audi, only diference is that I have filed hole at the top. So I have to get this thing out that Ill be able to clean it.
Refer to the excellent original post by QCRAZY for procedure to remove the AC Evaporator Funnel. Once you remove trim pieces, glove compartment and pull back rug you can easily remove 2/3 screws, the 3rd one requires socket u-joint to remove the interior-side screw at an angle. NOTE: I also removed the power passenger seat so I can get under the carpet along the entire passenger side. Took about 6 hours.

Post Note = I've been dry since the repair, so far so good.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

great info ,just bought a 2000 a6 quatro,after a 12 hour trip ac started leaking inside,used your info to fixt it!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

mine melted too after a 12 hour trip to myrtle beach
Old 10-09-2011, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi!

Very Nice thread you've got here, and it seems that I am having the same problem with my 1998 1,8TDI audi A6. I cleared the drainage duct with compressed air and used a tube to make water flow trough the duct. However when I am assembling it all back together, the gasket is still leaking water whenever i turn my car on. Does anybody know if this is a problem with the gasket itself or if theres something else?

If anybody knows what could cause this please leave a reply and I will happily try it out.

Cheers
-Simeon
Old 10-10-2011, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Air Conditioner Gasket Leaking

In short, Im not sure. I recall being a bit puzzled by the function of the gasket as it was spongy and porous vs. a more water tight sealed gasket. (It may be to let air through to help facilitate water drainage???). Mine was also a bit malformed from heat/age. You may consider going to local audi dealer, asking them to print the parts diagram as an FYI and order a new 'spongy gasket'.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mezonesxbox
I dont mean to highjack this awesome post, but i have tried it and thought i should share my experience.

There are two possible reasons for water in the passanger side floor

A. Evaporator valve as explained in the DIY and

B. Leaking from the top above the glovebox behind the AC unit.

My leaking problem was not the evaporator valve. That valve sits to the right next to the radio on the lower section. My problem is from above; till today i still have no idea what this leaking can be. It soaks a foam padding behind the AC unit and then drip down to the carpet and makes its way to the TCM which is very dangerous. I am about to give up on it and will try the dealer see what they say because at first they said "oh its the evap valve" "$200.00 to fix" now i know its not and will confront them. If they have to fix for this problem it is time for audi customer relations.

If anyone does find a solution please continue the post and expand.

I just added this info so some of you DIY'ers can skip this step if water comes from the top and spare all that work. It was a hot sticky day and i ended up loosing some screws and now my glovebox is fuggly. Oh well...

If your getting this during car washes, i have the same thing happening, the only way i have found to stop this is to have the heater/ac OFF. as long as it is not running i do not get any moisture through to my carpet... This is a REALLY annoying issue to have to deal with i must say.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just another view.last winter I put non frez window washer in my windscreen washer bottle. I never use the back window washer but my wife does. In the passenger footwell there is a snap connection for the hose to the back window washer. As there was only normal water in this it iced up and pushed out the connection. My wife then flooded the floor by keeping the back window washer on. It also leaked at another connection in the boot. Car is a 2002 Avant right hand drive.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I know this is old, but so is the leak.

Of course, I only found about about the settlement for paying for repairs today. Audi dealer previously told me it was only for VWs. I hate when that happens.

Primary question. I have all the stuff removed from the passenger side
to get the carpet out of the way to access the evaporator drain (as shown in original post). I am just not strong enough to get the carpet away from the drain (old codger). Is there any helpful hints for getting the carpet pulled back.

I have cleaned out the front drains in the sunroof (which I absolutely did not want, but it was tied to something else that was useful (having wheels or headlights -something). The rear drains require more than I can do in the constant rain and mud outside. It appears that if the fronts work, the rears should not cause a leak. True/not true?

Passing question about the melted evaporator drain. At least that is what it appears to be and it is located right over the exhaust pipe. Is there a replacement part? Anyone build something to prevent the problem? Perhaps a metal extension to the plastic drain might fix it permanently. From the looks of it, just cleaning it up may allow a recurrence.

RANT: This car has so many dumb mistakes; it drives me crazy and costs crazy amounts to fix them (e.g., drain under battery designed for an area without any vegetable matter falling from the sky, plastic parts that when examined by anyone that took the introductory courses relating to stress concentration and plastics specification would know that they can not work [little parts in window lifters, latch on door to emergency sign in the hatch, all of the PCV tubing, evaporator drains that melt at the ends {really positioning rather than the right plastic, but once position was determined, it needed to be another material}, engine covers that provide attractive nesting places for rodents, computers in places the flood (that big water tank under the battery, sunroof leaks, evaporator drains, spilled coffee, etc.). How can something that costs this much have so little attention to detail?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to clean out the evaporator drain valve.....