A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Huge loss in power, can't get past 2500RPM

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I stand corrected. EPC exists on my S6…I've never noticed it.
Even when one of my knock sensors was misbehaving intermittently and I had limited power, the EPC light didn't go off. It lights when I turn on the ignition and shuts off when the engine starts.

Anyway, my manual says the EPC has to do with engine power management…there is no apparent connection to the ABS or ESP functions…I also note that when I had ABS ECM problems only the ABS and Brake light lit up as expected…I didn't even bother to go vag-com and just replaced the ABS ECM.

So, back to the future…the lit EPC light has to do with engine management…I would not replace a yaw sensor to try and fix it without going to vag-com or the dealer for a complete code dump.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
I stand corrected. EPC exists on my S6…I've never noticed it.
Even when one of my knock sensors was misbehaving intermittently and I had limited power, the EPC light didn't go off. It lights when I turn on the ignition and shuts off when the engine starts.

Anyway, my manual says the EPC has to do with engine power management…there is no apparent connection to the ABS or ESP functions…I also note that when I had ABS ECM problems only the ABS and Brake light lit up as expected…I didn't even bother to go vag-com and just replaced the ABS ECM.

So, back to the future…the lit EPC light has to do with engine management…I would not replace a yaw sensor to try and fix it without going to vag-com or the dealer for a complete code dump.
Please read thread #2 in this post my source of info is from Bently about EPC "Electronic Power Control" and I would bet the farm that when the ABS/ESP is activated or the Speed/Rev limiter it's communicating with the EPC to take-over regardless of what the right foot is doing on the pedal.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by jcman
Please read thread #2 in this post my source of info is from Bently about EPC "Electronic Power Control" and I would bet the farm that when the ABS/ESP is activated or the Speed/Rev limiter it's communicating with the EPC to take-over regardless of what the right foot is doing on the pedal.
Cutting power as a result of a knock or traction or stability issue is not an EPC fault..the throttle control is working exactly as it's supposed to.

I will just note, again, the the EPC light does not come on when the system is cutting power due to lack of traction or stability. Further, mine did not even come on when the system cut power due to my intermittent knock sensor. There is a dearth o
f information WRT the EPC algorithm. I generally don't bet the farm and I never say never...
Old 02-20-2014, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You said:
Cutting power as a result of a knock or traction or stability issue is not an EPC fault..the throttle control is working exactly as it's supposed to.

I say:
Your'e absolutely right however the OP does have a ESP and EPC light and a limit of 2.5K RPM's he believes that the ESP is causing this problem. We really don't know what the DTC's are.

You Said:
I will just note, again, the the EPC light does not come on when the system is cutting power due to lack of traction or stability.

I Say:
Your'e right only the ESP light flickers when it's functioning showing the driver that it's doing something, outside of doing nothing the ESP can be on with no illumination unless it's turned off with full illumination and keep in mind it's the same display icon with the circle around it.

So the OP might be trying to connect the two and feels that a ESP sensor (one of many) will remedy his problem....That's not what I would do as well as yourself.

All that I'm providing is info about both systems and not drawing any conclusions about the problem other than one failed event is possibly leading to another in a logical manner or order and really vagcom is the only way out of this one.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@jcman - I don't turn the ESP off, I just start my car normally, ESP on and all, and when I floor it, it instantly gives me the EPC and the yellow light (ESP) on the dashboard. They come on at the exact same time.

@clany - Your problem sucks too. I mean, your car doesn't allow to to hit the gas when the steering wheel is turned, even a tiny bit? That means you can't pass anyone on the road by a safe speed. Mine problem is, however, more severe. I get the EPC and ESP lights WHENEVER I floor it, doesn't matter if I'm going straight, right or left, in a curve, downhill or uphill. It just won't let me drive it fast. Aso, the issue doesn't go away when I go easy on the gas, once it lights up the EPC and ESP I can't get past 2500 RPM, no matter how easy and gentle I'm on the gas pedal. BUT, when I start the car (whenever I start the car I don't have the EPC and ESP lights on), and if I drive it like REALLY slow, I can get above 2500 RPMs, but it would literally take me like 10 seconds to reach 3000 RPM. The bottom line is - I'm forced to drive like a 80 year old grandpa. Also, the maximum speed is 120 KM/h (I think 70 mp/h), that's 2500 RPM in the sixth speed (my Audi is manual).

I'm so sick and tired of this problem. Can't wait to fix it and drive like I want to. When (if) I find out that the damn ESP is causing the problem I'll ask the mechanic to pull out all of the sensor and stuff and literally light it on fire and then put it out with ****. That's how much I hate the ESP in cars. LET ME DRIVE MY CAR HOW I WANT TO!
Old 02-20-2014, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jcman
Just so you know, I see almost every time the EPC on when the VW audis have a crankshaft sensor code stored after the engine stalls. I too have always thought the EPC was always about throttle drive stuff but not so much anymore. I have even seen EPC light on when cars have 2 coils fail and there a 2 cylinder lol.

But just to say I think the Original posters issue is throttle body related.

Also, I pulled an owners manual out of a VW here. EPC - Engine Power Management. Bently is wrong aparently.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 02-20-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the throttle body could be causing at least a part of the problem. I'll try taking look at it when I get the time and clean it. I think so because, whenever I floor the pedal, doesn't matter in what gear or on how many RPMs the faults appear. The throttle body might be dirty or something. Definitely will take a look at it. Thanks for mentioning it.

Also, I forgot to mention, I had some problems when in idle. The RPM would drop and rise without me doing anything, sometimes the engine would even turn off by itself if the RPM fall to much. I've cleaned the lambda sonda and the RPM drops stopped and the car runs smooth as .... when in idle.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Just so you know, I see almost every time the EPC on when the VW audis have a crankshaft sensor code stored after the engine stalls. I too have always thought the EPC was always about throttle drive stuff but not so much anymore. I have even seen EPC light on when cars have 2 coils fail and there a 2 cylinder lol.

But just to say I think the Original posters issue is throttle body related.

Also, I pulled an owners manual out of a VW here. EPC - Engine Power Management. Bently is wrong aparently.
Yep I didn't get into the full details about the EPC light and I have also to noticed it on when the engine stalls "not running" with the key in the on position on a A4 with a screwy crank sensor just recently.

Prospeeder I would also agree with you that his problem is not related to the ESP..but...but...we have no DTC's at all.

My second thread with the EPC info is copied & pasted right from ebahn bentley "not my words" so what is apparently wrong with their description?
Old 02-20-2014, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BojanA6
I think the throttle body could be causing at least a part of the problem. I'll try taking look at it when I get the time and clean it. I think so because, whenever I floor the pedal, doesn't matter in what gear or on how many RPMs the faults appear. The throttle body might be dirty or something. Definitely will take a look at it. Thanks for mentioning it.

Also, I forgot to mention, I had some problems when in idle. The RPM would drop and rise without me doing anything, sometimes the engine would even turn off by itself if the RPM fall to much. I've cleaned the lambda sonda and the RPM drops stopped and the car runs smooth as .... when in idle.
BojanA6 I genuinely applaud you for your efforts and wish you Good Luck! But as we all been there before I just hate to see anyone throwing money or parts at maybe's or what if's when a directive answer is available.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

OP you have been given excellent advice here but you seem to still want to throw manoy at parts and "hope" this is the fix, you actually may be right but not a good troubleshooting practice..

GET the codes report back ..also important is the order in which the codes are logged. I also believe the car is doing EXACTLY what it is designed to do. If in fact the car thinks it is at full yaw ... the ESP may be designed to kill the power as it thinks it is correcting a situation. VAG com i esential here as it can real time measure the blocks and tell you what input the car is seeing.

Quick Reply: Huge loss in power, can't get past 2500RPM