AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   I dont know which suspension to choose???? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/i-dont-know-suspension-choose-1715742/)

SoCal4.2 11-29-2006 06:30 PM

I dont know which suspension to choose????

I've had my '01 4.2 for about a year now and I just hit 60,000 miles and would like to upgrade the entire suspension starting with struts and spring. It seems like most people around here go with H&R coilovers for suspension. I have only come across a few different suspensions for my car, H&R obviously, and Koni's FSD struts, but that's about it. Are there any other good alternatives for suspension upgrade. all suggestions are appreciated.

-Chris

iProDrive 11-29-2006 06:50 PM

Coilovers #1. Matching Brand Name Shocks & Springs #2. Stock SPORT Suspension #3.

If you have the money to drop I would say go with the coilovers :D

Deuce4.2 11-29-2006 07:31 PM

I had H&R coilovers, but now have Bilstein PSS9 coilovers. Both are great. KW makes CO's...

for the 4.2, multiple different spring/shock combinations out there.

Boston Driver 11-29-2006 07:32 PM

I am planning on doing coilovers "sometime" for my 4.2...

the main reason is the ability to dial in the ride height, and not be subject to where sport springs might settle. I had a previous experience where the rear settled way too low for my tastes, and I could not adjust the height. The result was a plethora of "dead body in the trunk" comments, so I upgraded to coilovers. I had H&R coilovers in the past, they were great!

However, this time, mainly based on the very positive feedback fro some veterans on this board, I am going to do the Bilstein PSS9 coilovers. Not only does this setup allow for adjusting ride height, but also adjusting the damening from firm to soft for the desired comfort. A nice feature for sure!

Of course, all this comes at a price which currently is above anything I want to spend right now...

Buff-Daddy 11-29-2006 07:39 PM

Where did you find a Koni's FSD system for an 01 4.2? I would double check that info.

I spoke with several Koni distributors and they all said a system for the 4.2 V8 is not going to be available for awhile. Only the 4cyl and 6cyl are currently available. Hopefully I am wrong and you have found one specifically designed for our 4.2's, but I was given the same story by a number of people a month back.

Let me know where you found this, I hope I am not getting excited for nothing...

Press 11-29-2006 07:45 PM

h & r coilovers or pss9's....i have co's and wanted the pss9's but when i upgraded no one had

the pss9's installed on their 4.2....i didn't want to be the first....i'm very happy with the co's myself....

Boston Driver 11-29-2006 07:47 PM

...sig pic...trunk monkey?

Press 11-29-2006 07:48 PM

"junk in my trunk"....from vir....

2.7t Longhorn 11-29-2006 07:54 PM

I am 100% for coil overs

if you are 100% certain you will like the ride height of any spring shock combo - then great.

But if you make a mistake, and have to pay to uninstall/reinstall some other set up, it will cost you WAY more than shelling out the extra $$ up front, and being able to easily adjust.

no question - I should have done it, though I really like the H&R/Bilstein/h-sport set up I have, I would have liked to dial in about 5mm less drop in front to soften the ride just a bit

RLG 11-29-2006 08:50 PM

Threadjack - how's the CEL? You still thinking of coming down on Sunday to VAG it?