A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

I think I messed up pretty bad...timimg

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think I messed up pretty bad...timimg

Ok, I am going along with the blaukit procedure on changing the cam seals and valve cover gasket. I pay no mind to it (this is the first time I've ever even considered removing overhead cams) and I undo the timing belt - wham the cams turn to a different position because of the pressure on the valves.

I start freaking out, get my bentley manual and start seeing the involve procedure on the timing belt (special tool this, special tool that, top dead center, locking cam bar, etc.)

So the only thing I undid was the passenger cam pulley. Luckily I made reference marks on one of each the exhaust and intake cam caps and the cam itself. I lined the marks back up and put back on the timing belt.

My only concern now is that although I have the mark on the bottom cam (the cam that is actually connected to the belt with the cam pulley) lined exactly with my mark, the top cam (the one connected to the bottom cam with the chain inside the valve cover), is off about an eighth of an inch with the mark I made on the cam and the cam cap.

This is confusing to me because it's physically impossible for it to be misalligned with the bottom cam because the chain was never removed, only the chain tensioner compressed. Can anyone explain that?

Also, if I am off "one tooth" on the timing belt - will it cause severe damage to the motor or just a major misfire? I don't want the valves slamming into the tops of the pistons, but I wouldn't think one rib off on the belt would do that. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you cant "mark" timing on this motor....
Old 07-15-2012, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I marked the camshaft both intake and exhuast before anything was disconnected as a reference. I don't understand what you mean. So lining the marks back up exactly as they were does nothing? Confused.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

if you marked it on the cam sprocket on the front of the engine, then yes it means nothing
Old 07-15-2012, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
if you marked it on the cam sprocket on the front of the engine, then yes it means nothing
I marked the actual cam shaft and one of the cam caps (the part that remains stationary as it holds the cam in the head).

I guess what I should be asking is: since I never removed the cams and definitely not the cam chain connecting the two, then will I be able to ensure proper timing by purchasing the cam locking bar and using the crankshaft locking pin to ensure it's TDC?
Old 07-15-2012, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by slowguy
I marked the actual cam shaft and one of the cam caps (the part that remains stationary as it holds the cam in the head).

I guess what I should be asking is: since I never removed the cams and definitely not the cam chain connecting the two, then will I be able to ensure proper timing by purchasing the cam locking bar and using the crankshaft locking pin to ensure it's TDC?
Yes
Old 07-15-2012, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

x2... the cam locking bar and locking pin cant lie (they can but you get what im saying)
Old 07-16-2012, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Your exh/int cames are likely not currently lined up because you took the tension off with the tensioner tool when you changed the gaskets.

Only you can determine whether you're comfortable proceeding without the timing tools. If it were my car, I'd triple check my marks, and turn the engine over by hand (breaker bar on crank) about 10 times to gain some confidence, then start her up.

Actually if it was my car, I'd use my timing tools to make sure, but I'm giving you an alternative, assuming you want to get back on the road ASAP. Depends on how much risk you want to assume.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think the instructions blauparts are very vague. Even their video shows how "easy" you pop off the cam crank, pop out the cams and put everything right back together.

I thought the timing kit was simply locking the cams in place in relation to each other and in relation to the TDC on the crank? Is there an adjustment tool for the tensioner, and if so where would I find information about this. I thought the car adjusted that timing variably by actually adjusting the tensioner itself. Is that incorrect?
Old 07-16-2012, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I read my last post and maybe I'm not explaining very well. From what I've read, I thought the only timing tools are the crank lock for TDC and then you connect a bar between the two cam pulleys. I didn't know (or haven't read about) there was a way to adjust the exhaust cam to the intake cam via tensioner adjustment. Is there? Also, if there is an adjustment via the tensioner why doesn't blauparts even mention this in their instructions?

Quick Reply: I think I messed up pretty bad...timimg