I'm that idiot... - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm that idiot...

Reply

 
 
Old 06-04-2014, 08:21 PM
  #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 13
Default I'm that idiot...

... who carelessly hooked up jumpers backwards. I know better, wasnt paying attention ... I picked up a 99 A6 with a blown motor. Swapped it out with a used junkyard motor, everything went smooth. Hooked the new motor up, went to start and it rolled real slow and battery was junk so i jumped it and.. yeah. So, now the car wont crank or start. Acts like starter is out (dash lights go out, loud click, but nothing happens) when you turn key. Tested starter off the car and it works fine. Can someone tell me what I damaged, and where to start looking? Only blown fuse I found was radio but that was expected. 40A by computer is good. Thanks in advance.. dont be too hard on me. Careless mistake, I admit.
2k3s2k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:57 AM
  #2
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 77
Default

You sure you have enough juice...? can you tell if the click is the starter extending or just the (a) relay closing? If the former (the starter solenoid is getting power), the starter coil should be as well. It should at least turn the engine over unless you don't have enough amps available.

I'd say work backwards.. starter is ok per bench test... next step is to see if it gets power when turning the key.
NJA642 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:58 AM
  #3
AudiWorld Super User
 
SloopJohnB@mac.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Olney, MD
Posts: 7,215
Default

Originally Posted by 2k3s2k View Post
... who carelessly hooked up jumpers backwards. I know better, wasnt paying attention ... I picked up a 99 A6 with a blown motor. Swapped it out with a used junkyard motor, everything went smooth. Hooked the new motor up, went to start and it rolled real slow and battery was junk so i jumped it and.. yeah. So, now the car wont crank or start. Acts like starter is out (dash lights go out, loud click, but nothing happens) when you turn key. Tested starter off the car and it works fine. Can someone tell me what I damaged, and where to start looking? Only blown fuse I found was radio but that was expected. 40A by computer is good. Thanks in advance.. dont be too hard on me. Careless mistake, I admit.
Is there a BF inline fuse on the positive (red) cable side near the battery?
SloopJohnB@mac.com is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:46 PM
  #4
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 13
Default

There is no fuse or link of any kind. Took the starter autozone to test it worked perfect. Bring it home and bench test again, works perfect. I dont know what was happening before but whatever, moving on.

Car will now turn over but still cranks really slow, and doesnt sound like its even trying. Its more or less a loud whine with no sound of compression building. After about 5 seconds it makes a loud pop and crack so i instantly quit cranking. I installed the torque converter on the flywheel before installing the motor, which now I hear is not proper. However, taking the flywheel bolts out the torque converter can be spun freely by hand. It feels like the motor is being held up. But it also spins freely by hand with very little resistance. Any thoughts?
2k3s2k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:03 PM
  #5
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 13
Default

Also (if it helps or matters) I had trouble getting the motor to sit flush with the trans. Im 130 pounds soaking wet so moving the motor around was a little difficult. Once I felt I had it seated I started putting bolts in to cinch it together. I had maybe a half inch or less gap. But it pulled together fine, no resistance or anything like something wasnt lined up properly.. I feel like something in binding, but just dont know hownto where
2k3s2k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:48 AM
  #6
Tech Guru
 
4Driver4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 33,628
Default

Originally Posted by 2k3s2k View Post
Also (if it helps or matters) I had trouble getting the motor to sit flush with the trans. Im 130 pounds soaking wet so moving the motor around was a little difficult. Once I felt I had it seated I started putting bolts in to cinch it together. I had maybe a half inch or less gap. But it pulled together fine, no resistance or anything like something wasnt lined up properly.. I feel like something in binding, but just dont know hownto where
This could be very bad. You really don't want to do this. How does it feel when you turn the engine over by hand?
4Driver4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:37 AM
  #7
AudiWorld Super User
 
SloopJohnB@mac.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Olney, MD
Posts: 7,215
Default

Originally Posted by 2k3s2k View Post
Also (if it helps or matters) I had trouble getting the motor to sit flush with the trans. Im 130 pounds soaking wet so moving the motor around was a little difficult. Once I felt I had it seated I started putting bolts in to cinch it together. I had maybe a half inch or less gap. But it pulled together fine, no resistance or anything like something wasnt lined up properly.. I feel like something in binding, but just dont know hownto where
It is bad news. Generally the torque converter is installed in the transmission first with a thin strap holding it in. Then you put the motor/flexplate up against it and remove the strap and then bolt the two together.
If the two don't go together easily then it's likely something isn't right in terms of shoving the TC too far into the trans/hydraulic pump that is driven by the tangs on the TC snout. Sounds like you didn't have the TC tangs lined up with the hydraulic pump and forced the TC in…that can jam the hydraulic pump and ruin it.

You might start getting your head around removing the engine again to check things out.

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-06-2014 at 06:40 AM.
SloopJohnB@mac.com is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:39 AM
  #8
AudiWorld Super User
 
SloopJohnB@mac.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Olney, MD
Posts: 7,215
Default

Originally Posted by 2k3s2k View Post
There is no fuse or link of any kind. Took the starter autozone to test it worked perfect. Bring it home and bench test again, works perfect. I dont know what was happening before but whatever, moving on.

Car will now turn over but still cranks really slow, and doesnt sound like its even trying. Its more or less a loud whine with no sound of compression building. After about 5 seconds it makes a loud pop and crack so i instantly quit cranking. I installed the torque converter on the flywheel before installing the motor, which now I hear is not proper. However, taking the flywheel bolts out the torque converter can be spun freely by hand. It feels like the motor is being held up. But it also spins freely by hand with very little resistance. Any thoughts?
Motor should not spin 'freely' by hand…you should definitely feel compression. Remove all the spark plugs and do compression check if not leak down check. You can also remove the oil filler cap and look to see if the cams are turning…if they're not…really bad news.
SloopJohnB@mac.com is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:01 AM
  #9
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 13
Default

When I say freely by hand I mean it turns over as you would expect. I can feel the compression strokes when i do this. It feels normal. The cams do move, the motor does turn. I was told the possible negative effects of installing torque converter on engine first (after I did this of course), but was told since the torque converter spins freely unbolted from the flywheel with motor installed that things were likely lined up properly. True or false? If I put the car in neutral and try to start would that make any difference? Or prove anything?
2k3s2k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:19 AM
  #10
Tech Guru
 
4Driver4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 33,628
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

You might start getting your head around removing the engine again to check things out.
As a quicker check, it probably makes sense to remove the bolts between the flex plate and torque converter and check that the torque converter isn't bound up against the flex plate. You should be able to remove the bolts and push the torque converter toward the trans by half a centimeter or so. Once you do this, you should be able to turn it back and forth independent of the flex plate.
4Driver4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
PDXA4
Off-topic Discussion
1
03-15-2008 10:47 PM
exS4||wp0ZZZ
Off-topic Discussion
13
12-14-2007 10:24 AM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:49 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: