AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   I'm not so sure this is limited to my RS6 so I'd rather post over here since there's more activity. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/im-not-so-sure-limited-my-rs6-so-id-rather-post-over-here-since-theres-more-activity-1691757/)

DaveyKid 10-05-2004 04:13 AM

I'm not so sure this is limited to my RS6 so I'd rather post over here since there's more activity.

Has anyone noticed a groaning sound on occasion when turning the steering wheel under pressure? By pressure, I mean turning slowly into a driveway perhaps on an incline as opposed to normal street cornering? Fluid levels are fine and it only happens occasionally so as you can imagine the dealer can't find it. It's loud enough to be heard not only outside but inside the car as well. It's a deep sound, not a high pitched squeal like you would hear if you turn tight on one of the steering locks and get a belt squeal (well, some cars anyway) and the vibration can actually be felt through the steering wheel. It's not the tires, it's not a brake shield rubbing, it's not a suspension component, but clearly happening with the turning of the steering wheel.

There are no specific characteristics that cause it like temperature, hard driving, full passenger load versus empty load, etc... just mostly when I turn into my driveway.

Thoughts anyone?

ICONCLS 10-05-2004 04:17 AM

I also have the occasional steering groan in my RS, my 2.7T never did it, dealer couldn't replicate.

Boston Driver 10-05-2004 04:40 AM

Is it the same groan when you go over harsh bumps...

and the ABS (or ESP??) kicks in?

DaveyKid 10-05-2004 04:45 AM

No. That's more of a chatter noise. This is a smooth groan.

absolutcq20v 10-05-2004 04:58 AM

Re: I'm not so sure this is limited to my RS6 so I'd...

Did it happen when the weather/car is cold? I have seen some p/s fluids/systems that froth up and cause cavitation in cold weather, but has it been that cold in <your location> lately? After it happens, next time, take a look to see if the fluid in the res. is bubbley or has a head. Other than maybe a fluid change, I dunno. Good luck with it. :)

DaveyKid 10-05-2004 05:03 AM

Nope. It's happened in 90 degree weather and in 40 degree weather. Baffles me.

JAA 4.2 10-05-2004 05:07 AM

Are you sure it isn't the center differential?

My car does this, but I thought they had fixed it on the newer transmissions. Are you one the gas when you notice the noise?

StoneMan 10-05-2004 05:14 AM

How about the quatto system itself?

Is the turn a low-speed tight-radius turn? If so, it may be a normal function of the quattro system.

April(or others) can better explain what I'm trying to say here!

mk4=audi? 10-05-2004 05:37 AM

My ar did that, all the time. In the shop now, dealer replaced PS pump after...

a tech call to Germany, apperantly. The pump took a few days to get in. This is all coming from the Service Advisor, so I won't know for sure if that is what was actually done, or if the problem is fixed, until tomorrow.

Tom M 10-05-2004 06:27 AM

Re: I'm not so sure this is limited to my RS6 so I'd rather post over here since there's more activi

My 00 2.7 developed the same problem. Mostly when turning hard to back into my garage from the alley or turning hard in my parking garage @ work. First the dealer changed my power sterring pump, but it came back in a couple of Days, then they did the tie rod ends and so far so good. I am here in chicago so if you want to let me hear it , I will try to help. Drop me a e mail if you need my help.

Tom