A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Intro and need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro and need some advice

hi everyone, new guy here, i thought i would give a little intro. im going to be 20 this year and live in Iowa. ive had my license since 16 and in the last 3.5 years ive gone through 14 cars, and all aside from 1 have been american. last year i got the pleasure to ride in a friends new S7(supposedly one of the first imported) and was blown away, then last week my brother bought a 2002 A6 2.7 and getting to drive that sold it, im getting one.

so the search was on to find an Audi of my own. i dont want an A4 because it seems a bit too small for me, and an A8 is out of my price range, so A6 it is. i just came a cross an 02 A6 with the 4.2 V8, it only has 72000 miles and it says the water pump and timing belt were just changed. the dealer is asking $9,999, does that seem reasonable? also aside from the usual used car stuff what should i specifically be looking out for? ive read that with the 4.2 the transmissions tend to go out, is this true? if i get it the first thing i would do is change the trans fluid and filter. any insight would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-29-2013, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Welcome!

If your looking for reasonable power and mpg the 2.7 is the way to go, 4.2 models are power houses, fuel hungry and very nose heavy but both engines are favorably deemed reliable.

C5 auto transmissions are a touchy subject if you buy a car 11yrs old with out knowing if the TC was replaced or the trans was serviced properly or how much beating was taking place, it's a roll of the dice and very pricey to remedy.

Is this car at an Audi dealer?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

14 cars in the last 3.5 years!? I wish I was that lucky... or do I?

But considering KBB (Kelly's Blue Book) has excellent condition priced for $12,000, I would say 10K (assuming you will haggle a bit) isn't that bad.. As long as the car is in good shape, drives well, and maintenance is up-to date. Does the dealer have an online add we can look at?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default BTW

Don't bother with the 3.0 because nobody here will accept you or that engine as being a real Audi member, accept for me (because I own one) and a hand full will as the others won't say nothing in fear of a spanking by the elders out behind the wood shed.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hey thanks for the replys. im really not concerned with mileage, thats what i have my other car for. here is a link to the ad http://www.realitymotors.com/2002_Au..._175047673.veh
the only things that jump out to me are the paint missing on the "paddle shifters" and mirrors adjuster and how rusty the brake rotors look. i just ran an autocheck on it came back at 2 owners and scored 86 on their autocheck score.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Not trying to bust your bubble on the 4.2 but the weight really adds to the under-steer problems the C5 has been known for, so if your not so concerned about the points off handling and an average 16mpg then this straight line flagship torque monster might be a good start.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcman
If your looking for reasonable power and mpg the 2.7 is the way to go, 4.2 models are power houses, fuel hungry and very nose heavy but both engines are favorably deemed reliable.

C5 auto transmissions are a touchy subject if you buy a car 11yrs old with out knowing if the TC was replaced or the trans was serviced properly or how much beating was taking place, it's a roll of the dice and very pricey to remedy.

Is this car at an Audi dealer?
The mileage differences between the 4.2 and the 2.7T are practically non-existent, maybe 1 mpg. The 2.8 mileage isn't much better either, maybe 2 mpg.

The 4.2 gives an easier to drive and make the car pick up speed off the line feeling - it has larger displacement and thus provides more low-end torque. The sound of the V8 is also great. It is simpler, easier to maintain in some respects, and less worries about things going wrong. Hint: it does not have two turbos.

The 2.7T is similar in power but it arrives at higher RPMs. The feeling is rather different from driving a V8. It feels less powerful, but has great aftermarket mod support.

In my opinion, if you want a manual, the choice is only one - the 2.7T.

If you want the widebody look, go no further than V8.

Transmissions go on all A6s, even the 2.8 an 3.0. My 4.2 has original tranny/TC with 150K miles, for now.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jcman
Not trying to bust your bubble on the 4.2 but the weight really adds to the under-steer problems the C5 has been known for, so if your not so concerned about the points off handling and an average 16mpg then this straight line flagship torque monster might be a good start.
Hey coming from what i'm driving now (2003 mercury grand marquis) I'm sure it won't be that bad, and 16mpg is what I'm getting now any why.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by WastingLight
hey thanks for the replys. im really not concerned with mileage, thats what i have my other car for. here is a link to the ad http://www.realitymotors.com/2002_Au..._175047673.veh
the only things that jump out to me are the paint missing on the "paddle shifters" and mirrors adjuster and how rusty the brake rotors look. i just ran an autocheck on it came back at 2 owners and scored 86 on their autocheck score.
Don't worry about the missing paint as that seems to be common on lots of surfaces on these vehciles. Rusty brake rotors are no biggie. Buy it and go polish them up. It's easy, 0 to 75 to 0 in a hurry and they will shine like new. It looks like a deal to me. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Ask for receipts on the TB service and look for the parts list showing the thermostat and waterpump were also replaced as well as tensioners and idlers for TB and serp belt.

Nice looking car with low mileage. But it's 12 model years old so expect things to go wrong.

Use the power seat adjusters to bring the seat up as high as it will go and slide a mirror underneath to look at the seat springs/metal for rust. Rust under the seat indicates someone either peed on the seats and it soaked all the way through or more likely the car was flooded at one time, in which case just walk away.

Changing the ATF is a hassle...get the manual or be prepared to pay someone $300 to do it, including filter and pan cleaning.

If you can get an extended warranty for 36K and three years for under $2K, do it.

Check the brake pads...you're at about two sets of pads if they haven't been replaced. Tires should be matched brand/style and have at least 8-9/32". Should have a spare or doughnut (my S6 has a doughnut).

Drive the car for an hour or so...take an extended test drive and check for overheating or under heating, all the electrical gizmos, the electric telescoping steering wheel, all the windows, door locks, lights, seat heaters front and rear, etc. Check that the memory seat function works and you should get at least two operating key fobs with keys and a valet key. For that price you should also get good looking floor mats.

$10,000 isn't a bad price.

Quick Reply: Intro and need some advice