A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Keep Blowing the fuse #14

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep Blowing the fuse #14

Hello!

A few days ago the power unit to the electric window stopped working, same as the interior lights. I Changed the fuse, but when i close the door, the fuse goes off... It´s a A6 2002 1.8T Avant.

I understand there are many things that are tied into that circuit. Except from the interior lights, and the electric windows not working, the instrument cluster showing that the driver door are open when in fact it is closed.

Can someone help me to troubleshoot? Where is the most common place to get a short, something is clearly touching ground....?

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2018, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the most common sources for this issue is the footwell light under the front driver seat for the rear footwell. Sometimes the wiring inside the seatback gets frayed after years of seat use, and the wire rubs against the metal frame inside. Reach underneath and disconnect the black wire connector on the end of the wiring connector blocks unde that e driver seat. Once disconnected, try replacing the fuse again and see if that works.

Another source is a pinched wire in the sun visors. If not re-installed properly, those wires can also short and blow that same fuse.

Those two seem to be the most common sources.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks!

I checked the sun visors, with no result.
I don´t think its the footwell, because the fuse is ok when the ignition is on. The fuse only goes off when i close the door on the driver seat. So i figure it can be a shortcut in the wiring around here..

I can't find any obvious shortcut around here...

Any other ideas?
Old 07-10-2018, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I would spend time inspecting each wire where it goes through the door jamb. Found one on another Audi that was nearly impossible to see as it was inside the pillar almost an inch.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by clancy
I would spend time inspecting each wire where it goes through the door jamb. Found one on another Audi that was nearly impossible to see as it was inside the pillar almost an inch.
+1 on this. Constant flexing of the wire where it exits the "A" pillar and enters the door is a common place for the wire insulation to chafe or fail. Often just inside the pillar or the door. No slack available so difficult to see.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks!

I have inspected each wire that goes trough the door. And still can't find any shortcut or similar problems.. This **** is ****ed up

Its tempting to just put in a bigger fuse, like a 15A or 20..
Any other ideas where the problem might be?

Old 07-11-2018, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would unplug each door from the main wiring harness and see if the fuse stops blowing. The plugs should be accessible through the rubber boot between the body and door. This is the way my A4 B5 was wired, I'm hoping the A6 C5 is the same. This will at least eliminate any wiring inside the doors.

That fuse kept blowing in my old car (2000 A6). I found one of the puddle lights on the bottom edge of the door was dangling and was smashed between the bottom of the door and the car body, shorting it out.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Problem solved!

There was a shortcut on the wire for the lightbulb to the ashtray, on the rear door. Probably not mounted properly the last time someone had the door panel off.

The only problem now, is the error code "FUSE" in the dash.... Guess i need diagnosis tool to delet this?
Old 07-13-2018, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Maybe not. Minor faults can sometimes be cleared with a "hard" reboot. Disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for a half hour or so. Then reconnect. A lot of minor fault warnings can be cleared this way.

Oh yeah...congratulations finding the problem. Sometimes these cars can drive you to drink!!!