A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Keep blowing the fuse for windows, dome lights and sunroof. What's wrong???

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep blowing the fuse for windows, dome lights and sunroof. What's wrong???

I keep popping the fuse for the windows, dome lights, sunroof, and locking unit for the doors. Has anyone run in to a problem like this? I don't want to start pulling the car apart looking for a loose wire if it is something simple.
Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bought a brand new Jetta in 2001 that was doing this exact thing before I drove it off the lot. The technician found out that the bulb inside the dome light ( the kind that looks like an old style fuse with metal at both ends that pushes into a clip holding the bulb at both ends ) was not seated all the way and kept shorting out against a piece of metal inside the dome light assembly
Old 12-01-2009, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Checked the dome lights, front and rear, and they all looked good. I disconnected all of the lights there and it still popped the fuse. I noticed that the locking part of the door locks also doesn't work while the fuse is blown.
Any ideas?
Old 12-02-2009, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

There are many electrical components that share the same fuse. Not always are they labeled in such detail. In my opinion you have a short somewhere. Something is touching ground. These types of issues can be extremely frustrating because they are so hard to pinpoint. Your best bet if you can't find it on your own is to take the car to an independant shop specializing in electrical issues. They will find it the fastest. In my opinion, the dealer is not where I would take it. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which fuse #?? Is it the dreaded fuse #14? If so, there are just way too many things that are tied into that circuit. For example, the visor wiring for Homelink and the mirror light are tied into that same fuse, although nothing in the owners manual shows that (I know since I had that specific fuse blow).

The footwell light unplug technique is a fix fo the fuse #14 issue if the wiring for that footwell light gets frayed along the front seat frame (which has happened on more than a few occasions for A6 folks). However, the common symptom was the instrument cluster showing namy doors open when in fact they were closed. Are you getting that as well, or are just the things you listed inoperable?
Old 12-03-2009, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just posted on this same problem. Mine was a melted LED in the rear drivers side door ashtray. Read my post on some suggestions for troubleshooting.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I do have the car with the open doors on the gauge display. The driver's door is the only one closed according to the gauges.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So my guess is that it is the dreaded fuse 14 problem, which is difficult to narrow down. The common issue you already identified, which is the footwell light for the driver side rear passenger. The wiring in the front seat has been known to get pinched in the seat frame, shorting that fuse. But, if you've already unplugged the black 2-wire connector under the seat for the light, then that is not the issue.

When I had this issue, it ended up being a pinched wire for the driver side visor, which was removed and re-installed when I did a hardwire up the A-pillar for a radar detector. When I reinstalled the visor, I was not careful with the two connectors up there, and one wire (I think the one for Homelink) got pinched. Some electrical tape and careful reinstallation was all that was needed.

There are several other things tied to fuse #14. Was there anything recently done to the car that may help you narrow down the culprit? I would suggest you search "fuse 14" in the C5 A6 forum and browse the threads for the other items that may be tied to that circuit. Happy hunting!
Old 12-10-2009, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Im having the same problem now fuse #14 went on me too
Old 12-18-2009, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Here is the solution when it happened to me...

Originally Posted by nogawiduA
Im having the same problem now fuse #14 went on me too
My 02 A6 Q 3.0 had the same issue, light out, doors open sign on the ICluster, the doors lock everytime you speed up above 10 MPH and so on. I took it Audi (it had warranty) and the tech said that he could not replicate the failiure, only a bad fuse (#14 IIRC) and the "normal answer" we all know. Well, after a few months I got fed up and decided to check on this. The problem is in the drivers seat harness. On the driver's seat, there are 3 connectors underneath next to the console side. From this 3 connectors, 2 of them are multipins (and i don't remember the colors.. yellow <- airbag) and there is one that has only 2 pins (2 wires). This connector is the one that lights the footwell in the drivers side back seat. This section of the harness is the one that goes FUBAR, so just disconnect this, just leave it there and replace the fuse. That has worked for me for about a year now.

Hope this helps.

Rafa

Quick Reply: Keep blowing the fuse for windows, dome lights and sunroof. What's wrong???