A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 07-22-2016, 03:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Key Fob Reprogram Issue - What am I doing wrong???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob Reprogram Issue - What am I doing wrong???

Hi,
O.k. - what am I doing wrong? I followed the key-fob reprogram directions in the FAQ to the letter. Got a very nice blink confirmation from the lights saying "yes, the remote was programmed correctly". But IT DOESN'T WORK. Two 3 button key fob remotes, (both off eBay). Both program just fine. (one as #1, one as #2). But after they're programmed... nothing. I tried "re-synchronizing" the system, where you push either the "lock" or "unlock" button on the key fob remote and then lock or unlock the door with the actual key within 10 seconds. This failed to produce a result. I must be missing something here... any ideas?? TIA.

-Brian Bowman
2000 A6 Avant quattro 2.8
Ming Blue / Melange
Old 08-14-2003, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Try this ...

This is based on the tech section steps that I wrote, but with an added "wait" (step 4). MAKE SURE you do EVERY step (print it out and tick each one as you do it):

1.Take one key/remote (key B) and put it in the ignition and turn the ignition ON (to the "accessory-on" position - don't start the car).
2.Close and lock the driver's door with the other key/remote (key A) while the ignition remains on.
3.Take the key A remote and press the "UNLOCK" button ONCE only - alarm will 'beep'/lights flash, but door will remain locked.
4.Wait for a slow count of 10.
5.With key A, unlock and lock the door again (using the key not the remote).
6.Test the remote by pressing the "UNLOCK" button again - door should unlock.
7.Open the door and turn ignition off and back on again using the key A this time.
8.Continue the procedure for the second remote - close & lock the door with the key B (leaving the ignition on).
9.Take key B remote and press the "UNLOCK" button TWICE - alarm will 'beep'/flash each time button is pressed but door will remain locked.
10.Wait a count of 10 again.
11.With key B, unlock and lock the door again (using the key not the remote).
12.Test the remote by pressing the "UNLOCK" button again - door should unlock.
13.Remove both keys, close the door and perform a final retest by locking and unlocking the car with both remotes.

If this doesn't work, repeat WITHOUT steps 5 & 11. If that doesn't work, you're on your own :-[
Old 12-11-2015, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2006 a4, resynch not working

I have read all the entries and tried many things. Both main keys the battery died and the key will not turn in the lock of the one I replaced. Please help!
Old 12-11-2015, 03:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kellya4
I have read all the entries and tried many things. Both main keys the battery died and the key will not turn in the lock of the one I replaced. Please help!
When I bought my A6 the fob wasn't working either. I put new batteries in and still nothing. One day out of habit from my old jetta I hit the unlock button and it worked again...LOL
Old 12-11-2015, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default You can help by not resurrecting zombie threads.

Originally Posted by kellya4
Actually, it seems you have not read the owners manual either. Sometimes you can reprogram the fob without turning the key in the lock, but it's not reliable.
It seems your lock/tumbler assembly is seized. Either unseize it or get it replaced and reset to your key's mechanical cut.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by meq123
This is based on the tech section steps that I wrote, but with an added "wait" (step 4). MAKE SURE you do EVERY step (print it out and tick each one as you do it):

1.Take one key/remote (key B) and put it in the ignition and turn the ignition ON (to the "accessory-on" position - don't start the car).
2.Close and lock the driver's door with the other key/remote (key A) while the ignition remains on.
3.Take the key A remote and press the "UNLOCK" button ONCE only - alarm will 'beep'/lights flash, but door will remain locked.
4.Wait for a slow count of 10.
5.With key A, unlock and lock the door again (using the key not the remote).
6.Test the remote by pressing the "UNLOCK" button again - door should unlock.
7.Open the door and turn ignition off and back on again using the key A this time.
8.Continue the procedure for the second remote - close & lock the door with the key B (leaving the ignition on).
9.Take key B remote and press the "UNLOCK" button TWICE - alarm will 'beep'/flash each time button is pressed but door will remain locked.
10.Wait a count of 10 again.
11.With key B, unlock and lock the door again (using the key not the remote).
12.Test the remote by pressing the "UNLOCK" button again - door should unlock.
13.Remove both keys, close the door and perform a final retest by locking and unlocking the car with both remotes.

If this doesn't work, repeat WITHOUT steps 5 & 11. If that doesn't work, you're on your own :-[
Thanks for the details!
I was following the instructions tried few times but not working, my car is 2011 A6 C6 , got the new key cut from the Audi dealer, does anyone knows can I programming the new key fob without computer help? thanks a lot!
Old 02-05-2016, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by yk7209
Thanks for the details!
I was following the instructions tried few times but not working, my car is 2011 A6 C6 , got the new key cut from the Audi dealer, does anyone knows can I programming the new key fob without computer help? thanks a lot!
Wrong forum for your car. This is for A6 C5 cars.