A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Leaking water pump issue... after only 60k?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tester123
@165k, I am surprised your turbos are still working.... Damn it, Am I the only one that had a bad apple? (nevermind)..
Sorry I am going off the topic here but could you share your story about your bad turbo some day?
Old 12-30-2013, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So now I'm feeling cheap for trying to get aftermarket parts. You guys are all telling me repairs and upkeep is expensive on a car like this and I know that. The dealership immediately asked if I had used aftermarket parts when I told them only 60k miles had been put on it since the first timing belt job and are still quoting me 105k between timing belt jobs. I'm leaning back to "learn from this, don't be cheap and stupid with the car, get official Audi parts for this job."

I'm thinking the Audi parts will come to $700 to $1000 and if I do it myself I'm still saving $800+ in labor.

Does anyone have a list of what the dealership replaces when you take the car in for a timing belt job? (Part numbers also would be awesome :P)
Old 12-30-2013, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 674 Likes on 488 Posts

When you have your Audi dialed in, it feels so great. It makes all of the headaches seem worthwhile. Bottom line is that timely preventative maintenance on these cars saves you money. Get the services done logically, ie water pump with timing belt and save money. Then love the car when it is humming.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
When you have your Audi dialed in, it feels so great. It makes all of the headaches seem worthwhile. Bottom line is that timely preventative maintenance on these cars saves you money. Get the services done logically, ie water pump with timing belt and save money. Then love the car when it is humming.
For sure, that's why I love the car so much and it's worth the effort to me. I paid about $11k for it when it had around 90k miles and have probably put $10k of service and repairs into it in the last four years or so. Funds are tight right now though and I'm just trying to figure out if $1,000 in Audi parts might by me 80 to 100 thousand miles before the next TB/water pump job, or if $450 Blauparts kit and 3 year/60k routine is what to get used to.

($1,000 hurts right now, especially when I'm looking at some other big expenses coming up next month BUT, many many hours of labor plus $450 every three years is a killer too..)
Old 12-30-2013, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

If I do a full cooling system flush (which I will if I'm going to the effort of replacing the water pump, lol) can I use G13 coolant in a 2002 Audi A6 2.7t? Part number G-013-A8J-1G....

Would 1 gallon be enough to refill the system at 50:50 or better?
Old 12-31-2013, 03:59 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by acarney
The dealership immediately asked if I had used aftermarket parts when I told them only 60k miles had been put on it since the first timing belt job and are still quoting me 105k between timing belt jobs. I'm leaning back to "learn from this, don't be cheap and stupid with the car, get official Audi parts for this job."
Dealer is only half right. There is a huge difference between buying parts from one of the trusted sponsored of this forum and bying Autozone parts. Good quality does not necessarily mean dealer quality. "only" 60k out of a waterpump isn't ideal, but it's certainly not an immediate condemnation of quality. IMHO, dealer prices are insane, and the same or better quality can be found elsewhere.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:29 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree 100%.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Metronet
Sorry I am going off the topic here but could you share your story about your bad turbo some day?
Well, its not much a story really, more like a PIA. Took a chance and bought the 2.7T yr. 2000 car used @35k miles on it and ran great for couple weeks. Changed the oil+filter to Mobil 1 Syn. 5w30. Then on a hot day, coolant temp sensor fail. Never overheated just won't start when hot. Replaced, all good.

After few months on a cold day, started the car and there is TON of white smoke out of the exhaust. Car started but, I turned it off and towed it to dealer in a panic(wasn't sure how complex it is at that time). Dealer took my right arm for blown turbos. A week later they said they put new ones in and car ran fine for another month or so. Another cold day, same thing; Tons of white smoke from exhaust. Towed it again, evaluated my options, bit the bullet and upgraded to cert.pre-owned 2001 4.2.

The thing is, I was quite careful using the car (as in, engine warm-up before driving, running for couple mins after long/hard drive etc.). There were no leaks and I did simple maintenance immediately after buying the car. The dealer says that the oil is "caking" in turbo lines and it could be because the previous owner/shop probably used regular oil vs synthetic. Was too naive and didn't want to continue facing this problem and pour money.

So, that's what happened. After I got the 4.2, I decided not to go to dealer for repairs. However, I should give credit to the service manager who, just before the warranty was about to expire, proactively changed the cluster, blower mother, interior temp sensor fan and rear shade motor/assembly. He said that these parts will fail later so, it's better to get them done before they fail completely. I thank him for that.

I thought about how I should've done this or pursued that etc., fact is, it is water under bridge long ago and just figured I lost some money in stock market...

Last edited by tester123; 12-31-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll see if i can dig up something for ya Phil. But between the champagne and dimly lit rooms filled with strangers in my house, i am too busy spying on mental health professionals that seem to lurk near my golf clubs.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, massive part list to follow... this is what I'm ordering (hopefully tonight if I can get some feedback from you guys and you give me the green light) and hopefully this will keep me set for another 60k on the belt, gaskets, and pump...

Parts I'm ordering and planning to replace myself...
  • Gen II BLAUŽ Audi A6 Timing Belt Kit For 2.7L V6 Engines
  • BLAUŽ INA Pre-assembled Base Kit Includes:
  • 1 'INA Gates' Timing Belt
  • 1 'NTN' Timing Belt Tensioner w/ Hardware
  • 1 'NTN' Timing Belt Hydraulic Tensioning Damper
  • 1 'INA' Timing Belt Tensioner Idler w/ Hardware
  • 1 'INA' Timing Belt Tensioner Lever w/ Hardware
  • 1 'INA' Timing Belt Service Interval Sticker
  • 1 'Graf' Water Pump w/ Metal Impeller and Gasket
  • 1 Thermostat w/ O-Ring
  • 1 'Flennor Gates' Serpentine Belt
  • 2 Serpentine Belt Pulley Bolts
  • 1 Viton Front Crank Seal
  • 2 Viton Camshaft Seals
  • 1 Headlight Washer O-Ring (For Timing Belt Service Position)
  • 2 Thread Locking Compounds
  • 1 Anti Seize Compound
  • Blauparts Detailed Step-by-Step Audi A6 2.7L Timing Belt Instructions
  • Numerous pages and over 50 images of detailed step-by-step guidelines, including front bumper removal.
  • Audi Serpentine Belt Tensioner Arm w/ Pulley - A6 1999-05 w/ 2.7L 6 Cylinder 30 Valve Turbocharged Engine (Includes Allroad)
  • Audi Vw Crankshaft Access PLUG KIT - V6 30 Valve Engines 1998-02 (Timing Belt Related)
  • Audi Vw Crankshaft Timing PULLEY KIT - V6 30 Valve Engines 1998-05 (Timing Belt Related)
  • Water Temp Sender Kit - 1998-08 - w/ Black or Green Sender (4,5,6 or 8 Cylinder Engine)
  • Audi Front Motor Mount/Stop - 6 Cylinder 2.7L and 2.8L Engine 1993-02
  • Blau Parts Tool Rental kit for timing belt
  • A gallon of G13 coolant, official from Audi

The above is all for timing belt and related service so I cover everything and reduce future issues until the next service.

In addition, since I do actually think I'm leaking oil AND since I'm half way there, I'm ordering these parts to replace seals...

Audi A6 Valve Cover Cam Chain Tensioner Gasket Kit - 2.8L / 2.7L
  • 2 Neoprene Perimeter Valve Cover Gasket - Improved
  • 2 Neoprene Center Valve Cover Gasket - Improved
  • 2 Cam Chain Tensioner Gaskets - Improved
  • 2 Camshaft Valley Seals - Improved
  • 2 Viton Front Cam Sprocket Camshaft Seals
  • 2 Viton Cam Reference Sensor Seals
  • 2 Viton Rear Camshaft End Cap Seals
  • 4 Cam Chain Pads - (Enhanced Addition)
  • 1 Cam Chain Tensioner Tool - (Enhanced Addition)
  • 1 Tube Silicone RTV Gasket Compound
  • To be applied to gasket corner sections as described in our installation instructions & video.
  • Blauparts Detailed A6 Step-by-Step Installation Instructions
  • Now includes detailed pictures and specific tips on setting cam chain timing during reassembly.

In addition to the above I'm renting the Blau Parts Audi Vw Cam CHAIN Tensioner Tool Rental Kit 1997-06 w/ 4, 6 or 8 Cylinder (#3366).

Does anything in there look like something I don't need? Am I missing anything? I figure that should cover everything that may cause issues and is wise to do during this kind of involved service.

I'll probably go insane from the amount of work BUT, I'm hoping I can get this all figured out on my own. Parts and shipping come to just about $1,000.

Quick Reply: Leaking water pump issue... after only 60k?!