A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Location of oil temperature sender on 2.8 litre 30v

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by nzaudia6
My dash shows the oil can with "MIN" under it and the Oil Temp gauge does not register so slightly different to what you are experiencing. When I had the front of the engine apart for the timing belt I could not see the separate oil temp sensor anywhere that the Audi dealer had sold me. I have just received a Hella oil level sensor from Pelican that I will be putting in this weekend. This is the part you are referring to on the oil pan with the electrical plug connector(interestingly it came in a Hella box but you can see on the alloy part where the Audi logo has been milled off).

When I install it I'll post an update on whether it fixed the issue or not. My engine is an APR
if you had only listened to the first guy that repsonded to you
Old 09-15-2013, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rossej
049 919 563 B goes next to the crank pulley (number 19). Your car shouldn't have a oil level (and integrated temp) sensor. You can double check by looking at the oil pan. There shouldn't be a sensor of any kind on it. However, they may be a cut out for it on the left hand side.

Why are you changing your sensor?

I thought mine was bad as my oil temp gauge never moved, even after a long drive. After some continuity testing I determined the the sensor wire was inserted in the wrong position in the instrument cluster wiring harness. How this happened, I don't know.... Long story short. The temp sender was perfectly fine. However, no electrical signal was getting to the gauge because of incorrect wiring.
Ok so I changed my timing belt and oil level sender in the weekend. The oil level sender has fixed the Minimum Oil Level warning message but it has NOT fixed the Oil Temperature gauge on the dash.

I checked the position that the temp sensor the dealer provided me with (049 919 563 B) and there is nothing there (see photo below.

Also another post here (from Airbag I believe) said the oil temp sensor was built into the oil level sensor. I don't think that is correct.

Can anyone tell me where to find the oil temp sensor on a APR 2.8 litre 30V V6 engine??
Attached Images   
Old 09-16-2013, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Can you post a picture of your oil level sender that you replaced? How many pins on the connector?

Just to review what year is your car?
Old 09-17-2013, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
Can you post a picture of your oil level sender that you replaced? How many pins on the connector?

Just to review what year is your car?
Hi there

It was a 3 pin inside the plastic plug (no pic yet).

Disappointingly the Min Oil Level warning light came back on today after travelling about 100km since the change. I'm going to look at the bonnet micro switch next then the dash after that.

I found this link to a VW forum that gives some clues;

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/480110/...5.aspx#3302415

My car is Year 2000
Old 09-18-2013, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i dont think it is the hood microswitch . i have a 2000 A6 2.8 also , i dodnt knwow hat difference the engine numbers make . But my sender was this one ..
it definitely had both in it as my oil temp wasnt working till i replaced it..

i would check this wiring harness very carefully if you can .. based on the fact your oil level light is back on again i still think your problem is in this area..
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2013, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think it is the hood microswitch . i have a 2000 A6 2.8 also , i dodnt knwow hat difference the engine numbers make . But my sender was this one ..
it definitely had both in it as my oil temp wasnt working till i replaced it..

i would check this wiring harness very carefully if you can .. based on the fact your oil level light is back on again i still think your problem is in this area..

you mean this sensor is both oil temp senosr and oil level sensor?
Old 09-19-2013, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by lucio_liu
you mean this sensor is both oil temp senosr and oil level sensor?
on mine it is .. but OP has a different engine code so thinks his may be different. he may be right as i dont know that engine number. I had to replace my oil level sensor because the temp wasnt displaying , put in a new Hella and away I went, OP wasnt so lucky so we are trying to figure out what is going on.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on mine it is .. but OP has a different engine code so thinks his may be different. he may be right as i dont know that engine number. I had to replace my oil level sensor because the temp wasnt displaying , put in a new Hella and away I went, OP wasnt so lucky so we are trying to figure out what is going on.
my 2001 a6 2.8 is ATQ engine. what's yours?
Old 09-19-2013, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've got it booked in at the Audi dealer today to do some VAGCOM diagnostics on the instrument cluster. Apparently they can send signals to it via VAGCOM that mimic the signals from the various engine sensors. So for example they should be able to "send" an oil temp reading to the cluster to get the oil temp gauge to move. If they can then it can really only be the wiring between the oil level sender and the cluster. I hope....

I'll keep you updated. This has been quite a journey.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by lucio_liu
my 2001 a6 2.8 is ATQ engine. what's yours?
I think mine is atq also, not sure though as it is in storage ( its my winter. Beater )

Quick Reply: Location of oil temperature sender on 2.8 litre 30v