A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

The Lure of the Four Rings - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Lure of the Four Rings - Advice Needed

My elderly father is getting rid of his 2004 Audi 2.7TQ auto sedan. It has an unbelievable 27,000 miles on it, has been dealer serviced, always garaged, and never been in an accident. I have been thinking about buying it because it has been so lightly used...but the low mileage also scares me. The thought of what a 13 year old German sports sedan could have lurking underneath is worrisome.

I am going to have it inspected...but was wondering if there are any parts/systems that are particularly vulnerable over time....especially in a car tha is driven every month or so. This may be my chance to enjoy an audi, or i could be trading my trusty prius for a millstone around my neck.

Any thoughts? Advice?
Old 09-26-2017, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dealer services, really says it all. Look over all the work orders. This car stayed in your family and you know the person well I presume

So long as the normal fluid work is done, you'll be fine. Heck even the tranny fluid will be in great shape. Stick to the basic. Get the dealer to do a once over, check for codes etc. Air bag suspension, if it has it, may have issues. But honestly, if the price is right you've got a rare gem. But do remember, this isn't a prius for cheap parts to fix, its an Audi
Old 09-26-2017, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also, you posted about this car 3 years ago, in these old threads. Same points apply then as they do now

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...ebomb-2882421/
Old 09-26-2017, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by twopedalwarrior
Also, you posted about this car 3 years ago, in these old threads. Same points apply then as they do now

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...ebomb-2882421/

theee yeaes ago, my father talked about selling his audi, and we discussed me buying it. now he's revisiting the issue and has offered the car to me if i want it. since the car is older now, i thought i would ask again prior to making my decision.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

That sounds like a heck of a deal. Having the vehicle history at hand is a big plus. Another consideration is that what else would you do with the car? Even with such low mileage a dealer will low ball it for trade-in purposes. You can expect certain parts on the car to need replacing due to age. A timing belt would be a good example unless it has been changed already. Like any belts and hoses they become weather checked, cracked, etc. Also like was already posted, parts will not be cheap if any are needed. Also if any work is needed can you DIY? Shops aren't cheap either. Depending on geographic location even indy shops are hovering around $80+ per hour for labor.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Let me know if you decide not to buy it because if all is well with the car and the price is right I'll buy it.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I along with many others here would likely jump at this car. Let us know if you decide to sell it. That aside, I would not take it to an Audi dealer as most are not interested or even all that familiar with this vintage. They want to service cars that are no more than 5 years or so old. Sure there are exceptions to this statement. I would look for an indi Audi repair shop that regularly services this vintage Audi. Info will be more accurate and likely a much better place to have it serviced.

Keep in mind it will also be a more costly vehicle to repair than your Prius. More fun to drive but more costly.

I hope you decide to sell it and contact me,
Old 10-07-2017, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

UPDATE: On the advice of this forum, i sought out an independent Audi repair shop, which turned put to be excellent advice. They did a complete examination of the car and found what i had hoped they would, very little. Because of the vehicle age and low usage, they recommended a new timing belt (belt is original), an auto transmission fluid/filter service and a brake fluid flush. i'll also be replacing a damaged headlight housing. everything else looks good.

So, I'm going to be an audi owner and i'm excited by the prospect.

After servicing, i'm going to have the car detailed inside and out, and get a good paint sealant applied to carry me through the winter months. Then I'll be giving it an "italian tune-up" with a drive back across country. The only upgrade i intend to make is to add a dension iphone adapter to the stock radio so i can play and charge my phone. With less than 30k miles on it, i'm hoping to drive it for years to come. we will see.....
Old 10-10-2017, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Congratulations. Looks like you scored well.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Mazel Tov.