A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Mass Air Flow (MAF) question for replacing

Old 10-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Just check all the boost hoses. There are ones from the turbos to the intercoolers that blow off and loosen up the clamps. Theres hoses from the top of the intercooler to the throttle body, theres the big Y intake on top of the engine with the DVs plumbed in. Dont just look, grab and try to pull on the rubber pipes.
Yes I will check that out. thanks
Old 10-07-2013, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Propane trick to find vacuum leak

Originally Posted by atg614
Yes I will check that out. thanks
Get a propane torch and turn on the gas but don't light! Let the engine idle and direct the flow around the whole intake and vacuum line circuits. When the idle speed increases, you've identified the vicinity of the leak.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnkk
Get a propane torch and turn on the gas but don't light! Let the engine idle and direct the flow around the whole intake and vacuum line circuits. When the idle speed increases, you've identified the vicinity of the leak.
Saw this trick being mentioned in many forums and repair advices online and can't speak for others but I didn't have any success with it whatsoever. I opened the propane valve completely and even put it directly to air intake -still no increase in rpms!

What did work is with engine off, slowly pressurize (no more than 10 psi) with compressed air each of vacuum / intake sections (i.e. breather hoses etc.) and listen for "hiss"; found a leak by camshaft adjuster gasket and half-moon seals on both sides.

Another method IMO is far more effective is to build a simple smoke machine from a glow plug in a sealed metal can (you can use cheap metal water bottles for example) filled above the plug with pure mineral oil, couple hose fittings from home depot, one for compressed air input and another for smoke output. You can buy hoses of different sizes from auto parts store. Connect the glow-plug to a 12v battery charger (external) and when smoke is being generated, slowly introduce compressed air. The output smoke can be then connected via another hose to section/area(s) in question and you will definitely see the smoke come out if there is a leak.

Just be careful, the metal bottle will get very hot

I built this all under $25 with most parts from home depot and in less than 1 hour. (see my rudimentary pic)

Just sharing my thoughts...
Attached Images  

Last edited by tester123; 10-07-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Where on a 2002 Audi A6 2.7 are the breather hoses located?

What are they anyway? Is it the intake?

There are so many hoses, I get lost.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by atg614
Where on a 2002 Audi A6 2.7 are the breather hoses located?

What are they anyway? Is it the intake?

There are so many hoses, I get lost.
This is what I replaced recently, is this the breather hose your talking about? If it is where do I place air pressure or smoke?

Old 10-08-2013, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tester123
Saw this trick being mentioned in many forums and repair advices online and can't speak for others but I didn't have any success with it whatsoever. I opened the propane valve completely and even put it directly to air intake -still no increase in rpms!

What did work is with engine off, slowly pressurize (no more than 10 psi) with compressed air each of vacuum / intake sections (i.e. breather hoses etc.) and listen for "hiss"; found a leak by camshaft adjuster gasket and half-moon seals on both sides.

Another method IMO is far more effective is to build a simple smoke machine from a glow plug in a sealed metal can (you can use cheap metal water bottles for example) filled above the plug with pure mineral oil, couple hose fittings from home depot, one for compressed air input and another for smoke output. You can buy hoses of different sizes from auto parts store. Connect the glow-plug to a 12v battery charger (external) and when smoke is being generated, slowly introduce compressed air. The output smoke can be then connected via another hose to section/area(s) in question and you will definitely see the smoke come out if there is a leak.

Just be careful, the metal bottle will get very hot

I built this all under $25 with most parts from home depot and in less than 1 hour. (see my rudimentary pic)

Just sharing my thoughts...
The propane won't work in the intake because at idle the butterfly is closed. The propane works fine for vacuum leaks at assorted hoses and connections after the intake butterfly.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnkk
The propane won't work in the intake because at idle the butterfly is closed. The propane works fine for vacuum leaks at assorted hoses and connections after the intake butterfly.
Thank you, I learned something today. When I was troubleshooting possible vacuum leaks, I tried that trick and was not successful hence, the concoction of smoke through glow plug. But, I'll keep in mind what you mentioned here.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I found alot these newer cars do not react the same when trying to use a fuel source to find the air leak. I use brake cleaner, and watch the scan tool on live data at short term fuel trim. As soon as i spray where the leak is, it will go from Adding tons of fuel (lean condition) to subtracting fuel (rich condition you created) There usually is no change in how the engine runs, thats how seamless the management systems in these are.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Would all the little hoses at the back of the engine around the egr valves, sai and such like also affect the idle / vac leak issues?
You know, all the little pipes that are almost impossible to get to........