A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Misfire code P0300

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Replace the coolant temp sensor before you do anything else.
I've been hearing about this, too. my car has 3 coolant sensors, 2 of them are on the top back of engine, one on drivers side and the other on passenger's side. The last one its attached to the radiators lower hose. Which one I might be looking at? I also remember that I just recently replaced this 3 sensors , did this about 6 months ago when working on valve cover gaskets.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by johnkk
When the engine is idling roughly, disconnect plug from air mass meter. If engine smooths out, air mass meter is bad. If no change, I would suspect spark coils or cam sensors. Maybe spark control modules, but normally only one will fail so misses will be on one bank.
After the check engine light showed up on dashboard, engine shaking was gone, and car is running as usual, the only thing now is that the engine sounds different when starting up the car, car sounds like when someone tries to start engine when car runs out of fuel, but it always starts wich makes me believe the coil packs are the ones causing the engine hesitation on start up.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
Depending on sources, many suggest changing coil packs when you change plugs. Tester and Johnkk both have good suggestions that are inexpensive to try and may verywell solve your issue in short order.
I believe the coil packs are the ones causing this issue, too. They seem that they have never been replaced , look like the original ones, with the audi logo. I guess I might be going the expensive way and replace all 6 coil packs aprox. 200 for all 6
Old 03-21-2017, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

That is a fair price for coil packs. Depends on where you shop. AutohausAZ.com sells them for around $38 for the individual units. Not sure what type you have. It is also fairly simple task to perform and for the money you may see an immediate change in performance. Should be able to get the packs for that price thru aftermarket supplier that are actually OEM units or OEM manufacturer.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:50 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Changing coil packs is a poor strategy to fix a random multiple misfire.
For a single misfire, absolutely, but a P0300? Nope.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

so the most probable cause for all multiple misfires could be a vacum leak or coolant sensors? I also remebered that I broke the secondary air injection hose,(or breather hose) the one that is attached to the secondary air injection pump and two combi valves located behind the engine. Basically what I did was run to the autoparts store and bought a heat hose and attached it to one of the ends of broken breather hose, for a temporary fix. This is the hose that I broke
Old 03-21-2017, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ^^^Exactly ^^^

4D4!And having a full version of VCDS would be better $ spent versus throwing $$ on maybe's, VCDS will show what coil or coil's are at fault also will show the temp reading on the CTS.

Rule out the least common problems first as it will save you a ton of head aches.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex2.7T
so the most probable cause for all multiple misfires could be a vacum leak or coolant sensors? I also remebered that I broke the secondary air injection hose,(or breather hose) the one that is attached to the secondary air injection pump and two combi valves located behind the engine. Basically what I did was run to the autoparts store and bought a heat hose and attached it to one of the ends of broken breather hose, for a temporary fix. This is the hose that I broke
Alex this tube for the SAI "shown" has nothing to do with with engine vacuum circuit, only the small rubber tubes to the Combi Valve diaphragms are vacuum related when they are actuated by a solenoid and that is generally upon a cold start-up.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on this. Narrow and clearly identify the problem before doing this. Like others have mentioned, Secondary Air Pump is only used to ensure emissions are in compliance... nothing to with your issue. Engine has to run properly before ensuring compliance.... correct?
Old 04-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay so today I got a chance to get my hands on my car and try to fix this check engine issue. I haven't done the vaccum leak test as I dont have a compressor at hand right now. So decided to swap the coil packs.

P0300
P0301 Cylinder#1 and P0302 #2 are misfiring on passengers side, and P0305 #5 and P0306 #6 on drivers side.

I swaped coil pack #4 with #5. After doing that scanned car again and now it cleared misfire on cylinder #6. after that jumped to passengers side and swapped #2 with #3 and also did sparkplug swap and still was showing same results.
After doing the coil swapping I ended up with one code less ,the P0306 code dissapared. Now its showing P0300, P0301,P0302, and P0305.
After I done the coil pack swap I disconnected cables from Ignition Control modules and also swapped them to see if they were at fault. But I still was getting same codes.
I dircarded the camshaft sensors, since Im getting misfires on both banks, or could they still be the culprit? Im guessing my best bet its a vacumm leak.......so im heading to my brothers house to borrow his compressor

Last edited by Alex2.7T; 04-07-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Misfire code P0300