AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   Moving Bose system (2001 A6) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/moving-bose-system-2001-a6-2881687/)

N_Jay 04-08-2015 06:21 PM

Moving Bose system (2001 A6)

(Cross posted from Audio section since no answers there)

Moving Bose system (2001 A6)

What do I need to get out of a parts car to move the Bose system over to my non-Bose car?

Any tutorials on pulling the radio head and other parts?

robsa6 04-08-2015 06:34 PM

You gonna need EVERYTHING! The wiring is different from the headunit out. I will say the bose system is overrated and your best bet is aftermarket if you want crisp clean sound.

N_Jay 04-08-2015 07:43 PM

Ouch,
Is there anything worth salvaging?
Are the parts worth anything before they go to the junk yard?

pr0xZen 04-09-2015 07:45 AM

Might be the subwoofer and amp(s) can go for a little dough. If you don't mind doing a little wiring, you can probably get the subwoofer working with an aftermarket headunit (and possibly a small external amp). Not sure if the work is worth the effort, but DIY'ing a subwoofer enclosure that efficiently uses the space behind the rear trim, is going to be one solid bastard of a job.

jcman 04-09-2015 09:19 AM

One notable mention is that the Bose speakers are 2ohm rated drivers and very few aftermarket radio amps can not handle a speaker below 4ohms, deck amps are a different story though.

N_Jay 04-09-2015 09:47 AM

Is the amp in the head or in the eqbox?
I assume that the box in the back marked bose is most of what I need beyond speakers?

jcman 04-09-2015 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by N_Jay (Post 24674724)
Is the amp in the head or in the eqbox?
I assume that the box in the back marked bose is most of what I need beyond speakers?

The Bose amp is in the sub-woofer box mounted in the trunk, with this system the Symphony head is acting as a pre-amp but I believe Symphony I heads have amp capabilities vs. the Symphony II

pr0xZen 04-09-2015 10:13 AM

I've never really handled one of the Bose subwoofers IRL - how is it construction-wise? would it hold up to some reasonably rated and approriately sized aftermarket woofer elements? Whith the right thickness and more importantly, cruving and profiling - plastic can be pretty stiff and sturdy.

If so, one might be able to put some decent 4 or 2x2ohm elements in the enclosure..? I've seen images of both single and dual woofer element designs - were there different ones or is it an Avant/Sedan design difference..?

N_Jay 04-09-2015 11:08 AM

I will have to look.
It is a wagon, so it was behind a side panel.

How do you pull the head?

jcman 04-09-2015 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by N_Jay (Post 24674760)
I will have to look.
It is a wagon, so it was behind a side panel.

How do you pull the head?

You need four tools to remove it these are thin metal blade type with a hook on the ends to dis-engage the mount locks, there are two small slot openings on the R/L & T/B of the face.

I made my own out of file cabinet separators and I might have the drawing for it, but they are really cheap on fleabay or Amazon.